Nouvelles

Château de Chester

Château de Chester


Porte d'entrée du site Rechercher dans l'index du site Consultez la carte des itinéraires Une brève introduction à Chester La porte du Nord Le mur nord La tour Phénix La porte Kaleyard La cathédrale La porte de l'Est Le Newgate et Wolfgate L'Amphithéâtre / Galerie Commentaires sur l'amphithéâtre Église Saint-Jean Le "Jardin romain" Rivière Dee inc Grosvenor Park La passerelle Le château Le pont Grosvenor Le Roodee Le Watergate L'infirmerie Le château d'eau Quai de la tour La porte Saint-Martin Le Pont des Soupirs Les visiteurs de Chester à travers le temps Les rangs de Chester La galerie Chester Anciennes cartes et photos aériennes Vieilles photos de Chester & Liverpool Vanished Chester Pubs / galerie Cinémas Chester Le Vieux-Port Le canal de Chester Le théâtre de la royauté Galerie Chris Langford Galerie de jeux de mystère Anagrammes de Chester ! Promenade en chemin de fer MickleTrafford Lettres au sujet de la voie blindée du CDTS Lettres sur notre site Le lieu de la photo B&W Liens vers des lieux intéressants faites de la publicité avec nous Écrivez-nous

s nous quittons le pont Old Dee et le rugissement du barrage derrière nous, nous arrivons à une section des anciens remparts de la ville de Chester qui a subi des changements considérables au cours des siècles.

Sans aucun doute, ce morceau de terrain élevé autour duquel la rivière Dee balaie une courbe progressive a eu une importance stratégique depuis les temps les plus reculés, et vers l'an 907 après JC, les Saxons de Mercie sous Aethelfleda, dans le cadre de leur réoccupation de l'ancienne forteresse romaine , ont érigé une base fortifiée ici et l'ont incorporée dans leur extension aux murs, pour servir dans le cadre de leurs défenses contre les Danois, puis chassés d'Irlande et à la recherche de nouvelles terres à occuper.

De cette forteresse saxonne, aucune trace ne reste et très peu de choses sont connues du site jusqu'à l'hiver 1069-70, lorsque l'armée du duc Guillaume de Normandie vint à Saxon Chester, qui devint la dernière grande ville d'Angleterre à tomber aux mains des L'épée du conquérant pendant les étapes finales de l'Harrying du Nord en 1069-1070, trois ans au plus après la bataille d'Hastings.

De nombreuses rumeurs circulaient depuis longtemps parmi l'armée normande sur les mauvaises routes, la position de la ville - entourée de forêts épaisses et de marécages perfides - de ses nombreux habitants - et de leur courage obstiné et de leur familiarité mortelle avec l'arc long. Beaucoup de nobles de Guillaume, épuisés par les luttes du Nord et alarmés par ces histoires, demandèrent leur libération. Certains se sont en fait retirés en Normandie, abandonnant les terres avec lesquelles ils avaient déjà été récompensés mais les pouvoirs de persuasion du duc Guillaume l'ont emporté - il leur a promis de grandes récompenses, et, comme la conquête de Chester était le dernier de ses projets, qu'ils trouveraient le repos après cette seule victoire finale.

Il s'est avéré que l'armée normande l'a emporté. Le nombre de morts au cours de la campagne aurait été d'environ 150 000, avec des dommages sociaux, culturels et économiques substantiels. En raison de la politique impitoyable et violente de la "terre brûlée" employée par les Normands, une grande partie des terres a été dévastée et dépeuplée. Dans certaines parties du nord, les dégâts étaient tels que les survivants ont dû recourir au cannibalisme. Inévitablement, la peste a suivi. Tout compte fait, environ un cinquième de la population de l'Angleterre est peut-être mort pendant la conquête normande. Nous savons peu de choses sur la bataille de Chester ou sur le nombre de victimes mais nous savons qu'une très grande partie des maisons de la ville ont été détruites.

William a accordé le titre de comte de Chester d'abord à Walter de Gherbaud- qui, cependant, est rapidement revenu à une vie facile en Normandie- puis à son neveu, Hugh D'Avranches- connu sous le nom de Lupus (le loup) mais plus tard dans la vie, surtout par les Gallois, comme Hugues Vras (Hugh le Gros) - « Pour lui et ses héritiers aussi librement par l'épée que le roi détient la couronne d'Angleterre ».

Le comté est devenu très puissant et pratiquement indépendant de la couronne, le comte ayant son propre parlement composé de huit de ses barons choisis et de leurs locataires, et ils n'étaient en aucun cas liés par les lois adoptées par le parlement anglais à l'exception de celle de trahison.

Hugh a érigé un bois typiquement normand motte et bailey château ici qui a été bientôt reconstruit en pierre durable. Du sort de la forteresse saxonne qui occupait autrefois le site, nous ne savons rien du tout, mais son successeur normand est devenu au cours des siècles une formidable structure défensive d'une grande importance stratégique.

À la suite de l'annexion par la Couronne du comté de Chester en 1237, lorsque le dernier comte normand mourut sans descendance, des agrandissements et des renforcements considérables furent effectués par Henri III et Édouard Ier, en particulier dans la cour extérieure, où la palissade fut remplacée par une grande pierre mur en 1247-1251.

Le château de Chester était la base frontalière à partir de laquelle le nord du Pays de Galles a été attaqué et finalement conquis aux XIIe et XIIIe siècles et l'échiquier, les tribunaux et la prison étaient basés ici, ainsi que le logement de la garnison.

En 1246, Owen ap Gruffydd (Owain Gwynneth) s'est échappé de prison ici pour rejoindre son frère Llewelyn dans la lutte contre les Anglais, sous la direction desquels en 1257 ils " a ravagé le pays jusqu'aux portes de la ville ".

En 1276-7, Edward vint deux fois à Chester pour appeler Llewellyn à faire la paix, mais fut à chaque fois refusé, au motif que le prince de Galles « craignait pour sa sécurité », après quoi le roi assiégea Château de Rhuddlan, où Llewellyn a été affamé dans la soumission.

En 1397, il est enregistré que le connétable adjoint du château de Chester, Thomas le Wodeward, a pris livraison de certaines nouvelles fournitures :

• 11 colliers de fer et 2 gros de chaîne de fer.
• 2 paires de ceintures en fer avec manilles
• 2 paires de menottes en fer avec 4 manilles en fer
• 7 paires d'entraves en fer avec 3 manilles
• 1 moraillon pour les stocks

En 1399 Henry Bolingbroke, duc de Lancastre, prit Chester, peu de temps après avoir rassemblé ses troupes sous les murs et marchant contre Richard II, qu'il prit à Château de silex. Il revint à Chester avec le malheureux monarque (vêtu de la robe de moine dans laquelle il avait tenté de s'échapper) et le comte de Salisbury « montés sur deux petits bourreaux blancs ne valant pas 40 francs » et les logea au château. Après s'être reposés dans une tour au-dessus de la porte extérieure, ils ont été escortés à Westminster. Bolingbroke a déposé Richard - qui a été assassiné en prison l'année suivante - et a été élu roi Henri IV par le Parlement.

Ces grands événements ont bien sûr été immortalisés par Shakespeare, et Jean vitesse a commenté de Richard : « Si pour épargner le sang de son peuple, il s'est contenté si docilement de quitter son droit royal, ce fait semble non seulement excusable, mais glorieux, mais les hommes pensent plutôt que c'était de la paresse et une vaine confiance dans la dissimulation que ses ennemis avait depuis longtemps découvert en lui".

Après des siècles de service (des Saxons aux édouardiens du 20e siècle, les architectes ont construit pour toujours, pas pour de simples décennies comme maintenant), le château de Chester a subi de graves dommages pendant la guerre civile et, au 18e siècle, il a été autorisé à tomber dans un état de carie avancée.

Après la guerre, Olivier Cromwell avait commandé de nombreux châteaux - comme celui à proximité Liverpool- être partiellement ou complètement démolis afin qu'ils ne puissent plus être utilisés pour faire la guerre à nouveau, mais ici à Chester, les parties les moins endommagées du bâtiment ont continué à être utilisées pour écrire le château de Chester dans le Vallée Royale d'Angleterre en 1651, Daniel roi enregistré que, « Le château est un lieu privilégié de lui-même, et a un agent de police. Au premier abord se trouve la maison de la porte, qui est une prison pour tout le comté, ayant diverses chambres et logements. Et à l'intérieur de la porte se trouve une maison. , qui était autrefois l'Échiquier, mais maintenant la douane. Non loin de là, dans la Cour de base est un puits profond, et donc des écuries, et d'autres maisons de bureau. Sur la gauche est un chappell et dur en y attenant, le bien beau et grand Shire-Hall nouvellement réparé où toutes les questions de droit touchant le comté palatin sont entendues, et judiciairement déterminées. Et à la fin de celui-ci le brave nouvel échiquier, pour ledit comté palatin. il y a un pont-levis dans la salle intérieure, où se trouvent divers bons logements pour les juges, quand ils viennent : et ici l'agent de police lui-même habite. le connétable du château, ou son adjoint y, remis aux Shérifs de la Ville, à une certaine distance sans la Porte du Château, à une pierre appelée La Pierre des Gants d'où, lesdits Shérifs les transportent au lieu d'exécution, appelé Boughton"

Une autre source enregistre que les criminels ont été remis "à Glovers Stoune à un tel officier de la Cittie de Chester, dans et de là pour les fouetter à travers la Cittie".

Dans les années qui ont suivi, ce qui est supposé être l'ancienne pierre de Glovers qui a longtemps marqué la limite de ce "no man's land" entre les autorités de la Couronne et de la Ville à l'extérieur de la porte du château a été déplacé vers un petit jardin sous les murs de la ville. et proche du Château d'eau, où il peut encore être vu aujourd'hui.

En 1696, une monnaie a été créée au château de Chester. Cela faisait partie d'un effort pour renouveler complètement la monnaie du pays, et l'homme en charge à Londres était l'un Isaac Newton (plus tard anobli pour ces efforts, mais pas pour sa science). Pour prendre en charge la Monnaie de Chester, il nomma le grand astronome Edmond Halley (il est célèbre pour la comète), qui a passé deux ans ici. Le site de la menthe est indiqué sur des panneaux mis en place par English Heritage, juste derrière la Half Moon Tower - et vous pouvez lire certaines des réminisciences de Halley de son temps à Chester ici.

Aujourd'hui, incidemment, la monnaie britannique - ainsi que les pièces de monnaie et les billets de banque de nombreux autres pays - n'est produite qu'à un seul endroit, la Monnaie royale de Pontyclun, dans le sud du Pays de Galles.

Les deux aquarelles ci-dessus par Moïse Griffith (1747-1819) montre le château de Chester tel qu'il apparaissait vers 1750, une trentaine d'années avant sa démolition et sa reconstruction presque totales, tout comme le beau dessin moderne de David Vale en haut de la page. Quand on regarde les magnifiques vestiges de Château de Conwy et les autres grandes forteresses édouardiennes du nord du Pays de Galles voisin, il est facile de ressentir un grand regret qu'une plus grande partie de l'ancien tissu du château de Chester n'ait pas été autorisée à survivre jusqu'à nos jours.

Dans l'illustration, vous pouvez voir à travers la basse-cour extérieure la grande porte extérieure, construite vers 1292, dont les deux hautes tours en demi-tambour flanquaient un pont-levis à travers un fossé creusé à plus de huit mètres sous la surface moderne. Sur la gauche se trouve le Great Hall ou Shire Hall de 1250-3 (reconstruit en 1579-1581) qui abritait les tribunaux des juges du comté et à son extrémité sud se trouvait la Cour de l'Échiquier du comté Palatin de Chester. C'est ici, le 3 février 1646, que les citoyens de Chester achevèrent la capitulation de leur ville devant le Parlement après un long et sanglant siège.

À droite : le château de Chester tel qu'il est enregistré à la plume et à l'encre dans "Vale Royal of England" de Daniel King, 1656, une décennie après la fin de la guerre civile. L'église Sainte-Marie, l'ancienne Bridgegate et les fortifications aujourd'hui disparues à l'extrémité sud du pont Old Dee sont également clairement visibles.

On peut également voir l'église de St. Mary-on-the-Hill (une fondation normande, reconstruite au 16ème siècle et restaurée par Harrison en 1861-2, et de nouveau par Seddon en 1891) à l'extrême gauche et au-dessus d'elle le Vieux pont Dee traverse la rivière Dee, comme elle le fait encore aujourd'hui. L'église est également connue sous le nom de St. Mary-Within-the-Walls pour la distinguer de la première église à être construite de l'autre côté de la rivière, St. Mary-Without-the-Walls à Handbridge, dont la belle et haute flèche est clairement visible de partout. Construit en 1887, occupant l'emplacement d'un cimetière romain, c'était un cadeau à la ville du duc de Westminster.

St. Mary-Within-the-Walls, cependant, a une histoire beaucoup plus importante. L'église d'origine sur place, datant du début du XIIe siècle, était connue sous le nom de Sainte Marie de Castro (« du château »). Le porche de la structure actuelle contient des pierres apportées de la couvent de Sainte-Marie, qui dominait autrefois le Roodee où se trouve maintenant le bâtiment inesthétique du QG de la police. La tour était autrefois beaucoup plus basse qu'elle ne l'est aujourd'hui - par mesure de précaution contre les attaques, il était interdit à tout bâtiment voisin de donner sur les murs du château. Les parties supérieures richement sculptées de la tour que nous voyons aujourd'hui ont été ajoutées par le constructeur du château, Thomas Harrison, au milieu du XIXe siècle. L'intérieur de l'église est très beau et possède une splendide toiture intérieure en chêne anglais, apportée de Abbaye de Basingwerk (dont les ruines pittoresques survivent encore près Holywell dans le nord du Pays de Galles) lorsque cet établissement a été dissous par les agents du roi Henri VIII. Beaucoup des plus grands citoyens de Chester ont été enterrés ici et certains de leurs monuments sont susceptibles de surprendre le visiteur, car ils sont peints de couleurs vives. L'église a été désacralisée en 1972 et abrite aujourd'hui un centre d'éducation géré par le conseil du comté de Cheshire.

Au 18ème siècle, un événement remarquable dans l'histoire des débuts de l'aviation s'est produit au château de Chester, qui a été enregistré l'année après son entreprise par le &lsquopilot&rsquo, Thomas Baldwin, dans son livre, AIROPAIDIA : Contenant le récit d'une EXCURSION EN BALLON de CHESTER.

Il a écrit, &ldquoLe jeudi 8 septembre 1785, à six heures du matin, l'un des canons (un six livres) fut d'abord tiré dans la cour du château, pour informer la ville et le quartier que les préparatifs nécessaires étaient en cours pour gonfler le ballon A xii, le canon tira une seconde fois, pour annoncer que le processus était dans un degré convenable d'avance.
Avant une heure et demie, M. Lunardi avait gonflé son ballon de la plus belle des manières et à une heure 40, le Ballon ayant une légèreté qui contrebalancerait pas moins de 20 livres, M. Baldwin fut libéré par les mains de M. Lunardi, qui n'a souffert que personne ne s'approche de la voiture.
La voiture a atterri pour la première fois à trois heures 28 minutes, dans un champ appartenant à une ferme appelée Bellair, dans le canton de Kingsley, à près de deux milles à l'est par le sud de la ville de Frodsham et à douze milles de Chester. Il a atterri exactement à sept minutes avant quatre heures, près du milieu de Rixton Moss et à son retour à Chester le lendemain, il a été accueilli par la Militia Band et introduit avec de forts huzzas dans sa ville natale.

Cet événement historique a eu lieu moins de deux ans après le premier vol habité au monde, celui du Frères Montgolfier ballon à Paris le 21 novembre 1783.

Vers 1780, 100 ans après la Vallée Royale entrée a été écrite, les vieilles pierres du château médiéval de Chester ont été balayées pour faire place aux bâtiments que nous voyons aujourd'hui. Ce grand complexe de Shire Hall, tribunaux, prison, armurerie et caserne a été conçu, après avoir remporté un concours- et un prix de 50 guinées- par Thomas Harrison- alors un architecte relativement obscur avec très peu de bâtiments à son nom- et ont été érigés entre les années 1785 et 1822.

Harrison (1744-1829) est né à Richmond, dans le Yorkshire, fils d'un menuisier. Son talent précoce pour la mécanique, les mathématiques et le dessin lui a valu le patronage d'un noble local, qui l'a envoyé sur cette expérience essentielle dans l'éducation d'un jeune homme privilégié de l'époque - le Grand Tour d'Italie, où - malgré l'absence d'architecture formelle formation - il a acquis une réputation basée sur ses conceptions pour un certain nombre de bâtiments à Rome - bien qu'aucun n'ait été réellement construit.

À son retour en Angleterre, Harrison a travaillé sur quelques commandes architecturales mineures avant de remporter le concours de Chester à l'âge de 40 ans. La commission était à l'origine juste pour une nouvelle prison (voir page suivante) mais a ensuite été étendue pour couvrir la reconstruction de la Comté médiévale Hall - malheureusement pour nous : de toute évidence, il s'agissait d'un bâtiment des plus beaux et des plus impressionnants - et en 1804, il s'agrandit à nouveau pour inclure de nouvelles casernes et blocs d'armurerie.

Une fois terminé, le complexe couvrait une superficie beaucoup plus grande que l'ancien château, s'étendant bien au-delà des murs-rideaux médiévaux. Pour compléter son projet, Harrison a conçu une nouvelle entrée impressionnante dans le style dorique grec, qui a été érigée entre 1810 et 1822, une structure autonome similaire à la célèbre porte de Brandebourg de Berlin - construite environ vingt ans plus tôt - et serait basée sur le Propylée de l'Acropole d'Athènes.

Le centre des nouveaux bâtiments judiciaires était la cour d'assises avec son portique massif et impressionnant. Chacune de ses douze colonnes doriques est formée d'une seule pierre de 23 pieds de hauteur. Lorsque le premier d'entre eux a été élevé, avec une grande cérémonie, dans une cavité dans le socle a été placé une boîte de plomb, à l'intérieur de laquelle se trouvait une petite urne Wedgewood, celle-ci contenant à son tour plusieurs pièces de monnaie du jour. Une plaque de laiton gravée a été fixée sur la cavité avant que la colonne ne soit hissée en position.

Les fondations de la cour étant situées sur les anciennes douves du château médiéval, des fissures structurelles considérables se produisirent et lorsqu'en 1920, d'importantes réparations furent entreprises, cette urne fut retrouvée avec, sous une autre colonne, une petite tabatière en laiton ayant appartenu à l'amiral Lord Nelson, qui contenait également des pièces de monnaie. Lorsque les colonnes ont été réérigées en 1922, l'urne a été remplacée in situ, des pièces datées de 1921-22 ayant été ajoutées. La tabatière, cependant, a été ajoutée à la collection de reliques du régiment du Cheshire.

L'intérieur de la cour a été construit en demi-cercle avec douze colonnes ioniques comme supports. A l'origine, la salle des jurés et la loge des clés en main se trouvaient à gauche du tribunal, ainsi que l'entrée des cellules dont le niveau inférieur était occupé par les criminels et le niveau supérieur par les débiteurs. Les cellules supérieures survivent aujourd'hui et sont utilisées pour le logement quotidien des prisonniers en attente de comparution dans ce qui est aujourd'hui Chester Crown Court. De nombreux procès célèbres ont eu lieu ici au fil des ans, aucun n'est plus notoire que celui de Brady et Hindley, les "Moors Murderers" en 1966.

"Voulez-vous que j'aille à Chester et que j'y travaille maintenant ? Je n'aime pas les pensées à ce sujet. Si je vais à Chester et que je travaille là-bas, je ne peux pas être mon propre homme, je dois travailler sous la direction d'un maître, et peut-être que lui et moi devrions nous quereller, et quand je me dispute, je suis susceptible de frapper les gens, et ceux qui frappent les gens sont parfois envoyé en prison, je n'aime pas l'idée d'aller à Chester ou à la prison de Chester. Que pensez-vous que je pourrais gagner à Chester ?"
Tinker : "Une affaire de onze shillings par semaine, si quelqu'un voulait vous employer, ce que je ne pense pas qu'ils le feraient avec vos mains. Mais qu'ils le fassent ou non, si vous êtes de nature querelleuse vous ne devez pas aller à Chester vous seriez au château en un rien de temps".
George Borrow : Lavengro (1851)


Ci-dessus à gauche : le château reconstruit de Thomas Harrison tel que nous le voyons aujourd'hui. À droite : ce que nous pourrions encore avoir si la reconstruction n'avait pas eu lieu : une reconstitution étonnante par Martin Moss du château médiéval entouré par le trafic et les structures de Chester moderne. Le château présente dans une autre des œuvres de Martin- une vue remarquable de Chester de l'autre côté de la Rivière Dee vers 1750.

Passez maintenant à la partie II de notre exploration du château de Chester.

    1637 Le shérif Wilcock est mis en prison pour avoir arrêté les biens de Robert Green à coups d'épées nues, à son propre procès, sans procédure judiciaire préalable, deux sergents en masse ont vu leurs robes enlevées. Le premier service public d'autocars a commencé entre Birmingham et Holyhead, via Nantwich et Chester. La torture abolie en Angleterre.

Aidez à garder la promenade virtuelle de Chester en pleine croissance et à jour : s'il vous plaît faites un don!


À l'intérieur du château de Chester

Tableau d'information.

Tour d'Agricola ou Tour de Jules César


Les Congdons à Saint-Paul

Chester et Clara se sont installés à St. Paul, d'abord dans de modestes chambres de pension, puis au 65 Wilkin Street à Irvine Park, et ont immédiatement commencé à élever une famille. Walter Bannister Congdon, le premier de sept enfants, est né à St. Paul en novembre 1882. En mai suivant, les Congdon ont élu domicile dans la moitié inférieure d'un duplex au 325 South Franklin Avenue, où leur deuxième fils, Edward Chester, était nés en mai 1885 et leur première fille, Marjorie, vinrent au monde en janvier 1887. La famille déménagea à nouveau l'année suivante, au 546 Selby Avenue sur une falaise surplombant la ville, et en février 1889 Chester et Clara ajoutèrent Helen Clara à leur nichée. Un autre enfant, John Robert, est né en mai 1891.

La vie à St. Paul pour les Congdons était rythmée par les visites fréquentes de la mère et du frère de Chester ainsi que de la famille de Clara, en particulier sa sœur Mary, et le vieil ami de Chester, Harry Heermans. Le révérend Charles W. Bennet, qui avait officié lors de la cérémonie de mariage des Congdons, a voyagé de Syracuse pour baptiser Edward, Marjorie et Helen. Le frère de Bennet, Bill, un autre ami proche, a en fait vécu avec les Congdon pendant près de deux ans. Le journal de Clara est rempli des notes d'une mère, telles que les premiers mots de chaque enfant (l'un des mots de Walter était « chaton ») et l'inquiétude de chaque mère : les maladies infantiles. Edward a ramené la rougeole à la maison à ses frères et sœurs, Walter a transmis sa varicelle à tous et Helen a propagé la coqueluche dans la maison.

Chester a conservé son poste de procureur adjoint des États-Unis jusqu'en 1884, date à laquelle il a démissionné pour créer son propre cabinet. Au cours des six années suivantes, la liste des clients de Congdon s'est rapidement étendue. Au fur et à mesure que sa famille et sa richesse grandissaient, Congdon trouva des opportunités de voyage et s'intéressa aux actions minières occidentales. Il visita même Butte, dans le Montana, où il investit dans la mine de cuivre Gold Flint. Il a également voyagé dans le nord-ouest du Pacifique en 1887. Congdon et Harry Heermans ont acheté des terres le long du Puget Sound pour devenir Grays Harbour. Congdon a également acquis des terres dans la vallée de Yakima qu'il espérait développer pour l'agriculture.

Ses voyages de travail l'amènent aussi fréquemment à Duluth, alors métropole en plein essor. Là, il rendit visite à son vieil ami William Billson, qui s'était installé dans la « ville du zénith des mers non salées » au milieu des années 1880 et avait établi son propre cabinet privé très réussi. Billson a parlé avec enthousiasme de l'avenir de la ville et a suggéré que Congdon déménage à Duluth et s'associe dans sa pratique juridique. Congdon accepta et en 1892, la famille Congdon déménagea à Duluth.


Château de Chester : Tour Agricola, Chester, Cheshire

Cette porte du XIIe siècle est la seule partie survivante du château médiéval de Chester, à l'exception des vestiges de la tour connue sous le nom de Flag Tower et d'une partie de la courtine. Construit par Guillaume le Conquérant en 1070, le château devint le centre administratif du comté de Chester. Hugh D'Avranches a été le premier détenteur du titre de comte de Chester, et le château est devenu propriété de la couronne en 1237. La motte en bois d'origine et le château de la cour ont été reconstruits en pierre au XIIe siècle avec la cour extérieure. Le portail en pierre de la cour intérieure a également été ajouté. Ceci est maintenant connu comme la tour Agricola, et contient une chapelle voûtée avec des fresques datant du 13ème siècle.

Chester était important sur le plan stratégique car c'était le site de la résistance à Guillaume le Conquérant, qui l'a vaincu en 1070. Les défenses médiévales d'origine se trouvaient sur le site de l'ancienne forteresse romaine. Au cours du XIIIe siècle, les murs de la ville ont été reconstruits, en grande partie à cause de la menace de la résurgence des Gallois sous leurs chefs Llywelyn le Grand et Llywelyn le Dernier. Cependant, après la conquête du Pays de Galles par Edward I, Chester a perdu de son importance. Pendant la guerre civile, Chester était un bastion royaliste. Avec des défenses en terre ajoutées à celles existantes, les royalistes ont réussi à résister aux forces parlementaires pendant un certain temps. En 1793, une grande partie du site a été dégagée pour un nouveau bâtiment d'assises. Le reste du château a été détruit par un incendie à la fin du XVIIIe siècle.


La description

Le château de Chester se trouve dans la partie sud-ouest de la ville fortifiée. Au Moyen Âge, il se composait d'une cour extérieure – remaniée au début du XIXe siècle – et d'une cour intérieure. Toutes les parties médiévales restantes se trouvent dans ce qui était autrefois la cour intérieure, accessible par une arche à l'extrême droite du terrain de parade.

Dans la cour intérieure, l'imposant bâtiment devant vous est la maison Napier, construite en 1830 comme armurerie et caserne. Sur votre gauche se trouve la salle des gardes, abritant une exposition sur l'histoire du château. Derrière elle se dresse la tour Agricola du XIIe siècle, la porte d'entrée originale du château, l'arc de passage bloqué est encore visible.

Au premier étage se trouve la chapelle Sainte-Marie de Castro, qui contient les restes de peintures murales de haute qualité d'environ 1240. La lourde porte en cuivre date du début du XIXe siècle, lorsque la chapelle était utilisée comme poudre à canon. boutique.

En quittant la tour et en montant les escaliers sur les murs, vous pourrez apprécier l'emplacement du château dans la ville. Ci-dessous, à votre gauche, se trouve le pont Old Dee, la route traditionnelle vers le nord du Pays de Galles, et à votre droite se trouve le Roodee, la zone portuaire envasée de Chester. Derrière Napier House se trouve une plate-forme d'armes à feu, construite pour la défense en 1745 en réponse au soulèvement jacobite de Bonnie Prince Charlie. Notez les marches menant au port de sortie.

Continuez jusqu'en haut de la rampe qui redescend dans la cour de la basse-cour intérieure. Cette zone surélevée incorpore la « motte » normande ou monticule du château d'origine (mieux vu de l'extérieur du château). A votre gauche, à l'emplacement du donjon primitif, se dresse la Tour du Drapeau carrée médiévale. Le bâtiment peint en blanc à côté est la maison Frobisher ou Furbisher, du nom de l'officier chargé de superviser le stockage des armes au château.


À propos du Village

La Chesterland Historical Foundation a commencé avec un don de cinq acres de terrain au coin de Caves et Mayfield Roads par Mme Stockton, fille de Walter White, un industriel de Cleveland. Les White avaient une maison à Chester, maintenant sur le site de l'école Hawken, et elle a décidé qu'une partie de la saveur historique du canton devait être préservée. la stipulation que le terrain soit utilisé pour préserver et afficher l'histoire du canton.

Au cours des trois décennies suivantes, la fondation a obtenu et restauré cinq structures majeures, en plus de plusieurs plus petites, toutes conservant les caractéristiques historiques présentes lors de leur construction à l'origine.

Sur le site, la fondation entretient…

  • La mairie de Chester. Construit à l'origine en 1850 et situé au coin des chemins Sherman et Chillicothe, il a été déplacé à son emplacement actuel en 1981. Aujourd'hui, il sert de point focal à la fondation avec ses réunions mensuelles et annuelles tenues dans sa grande salle ouverte.
  • Maison Silas Tanner. Construite en 1842 au coin des chemins Mayfield et Buckeye, elle a été déplacée à son emplacement actuel le 1er juin 1987. Une grande partie de cette maison a conservé son aspect historique d'origine, avec une section du hall supérieur encadrée pour révéler sa construction d'origine… et même du papier peint original !
  • Grange familiale en pierre. Donné à la fondation il y a de nombreuses années, il a été partiellement restauré lors de sa reconstruction sur le site. Un coup d'œil à l'intérieur révèle sa construction originale de poteaux et de poutres.
  • T.J. Magasin général Thayer. Situé à l'origine à côté de ce qui est aujourd'hui Bloom Brothers sur Mayfield Road, il a été déplacé à son emplacement actuel à la fin des années 1990, avec une restauration achevée en 2009. Le magasin a été construit pour T.J. Thayer, un commerçant local qui avait des magasins dans d'autres endroits, dont l'un était à Mulberry Corners. Il a dirigé le magasin pendant plusieurs années et après une succession de propriétaires, il est devenu connu sous le nom de Scotland Store. Lors de son don à la fondation et de son déménagement, le nom a été changé pour revenir à ce qu'il était à l'origine. L'intérieur présente un aménagement très similaire à ce qu'il aurait été en 1899, l'année d'ouverture du magasin.
  • École d'Écosse. Construit à l'origine en 1847, il a été utilisé comme école à classe unique jusqu'en 1926, date de sa fermeture. Utilisé plus tard pour le stockage de tracteurs de ferme jusqu'en 1975 lorsque la restauration du bâtiment a commencé. Aujourd'hui, l'école ressemble beaucoup à ce qu'elle était au 19ème siècle, quand elle était connue sous le nom de District School #2.
  • Gare interurbaine. À partir de 1899 environ, le comté de Geauga était desservi par un rail électrique depuis l'est du comté de Cuyahoga. Le service traversait Chester et traversait en fait l'arrière du site du village. La gare interurbaine a été déplacée à son emplacement actuel le 22 avril 1987 et un peu plus tard, une section de voie a été posée pour mettre en valeur le site.
  • Le village possède également un petit bûcher et une dépendance, situés derrière l'école, à peu près au même endroit que les originaux. De plus, une autre dépendance, située à l'origine à l'entrée du Chester Caves Resort, a été déplacée derrière la maison Tanner en 2008, complétant la maison.

Projet de reconstruction d'une grange familiale en pierre
Aidez-nous à la restauration de notre grange sur place en achetant un cautionnement de grange. Les travaux ont commencé mais nous avons besoin de votre aide pour faire le travail. Votre don déductible des impôts, sous forme de caution, servira à payer les travaux nécessaires à la reconstruction d'un morceau de l'histoire de Chesterland. Et vous recevrez un petit cadeau en guise de remerciement !

Plus d'informations sur les obligations et leur achat peuvent être trouvées ici.

Projet de passerelle et de jardin en brique

Située à l'avant de la maison Tanner de 1842, la passerelle est bordée de briques portant des noms et des messages de personnes qui ont choisi de soutenir le village en achetant une brique commémorative.

Vous êtes cordialement invités à rejoindre le nombre croissant de personnes qui ont choisi de nous soutenir en achetant une brique gravée pour 40 $. Pour plus d'informations sur le programme, cliquez ici.

Photos de restauration du magasin en Écosse :

Voici quelques photos du Scotland Store, prises au fur et à mesure que la restauration du magasin général de la fin du XIXe siècle progressait. Si vous souhaitez plus de détails, cliquez ici.

Le magasin général de 1899 tel qu'il était au printemps 2006.

Le voici le jour de l'ouverture, le 16 juin 2008. L'extérieur est terminé et l'intérieur l'est presque. Il ne restait plus qu'à faire un peu d'aménagement paysager !

La Fondation historique de Chesterland
est à la recherche de dons d'articles d'époque à afficher dans le magasin. Contactez le webmaster si vous souhaitez plus d'informations sur les dons !

L'ancien hôtel de ville de 1850, déplacé du coin des chemins Sherman et Chillicothe.

La maison Silas Tanner de 1842, déménagée à l'angle des chemins Buckeye et Mayfield.

Vous êtes invités et encouragés…

…pour participer à la préservation de l'histoire en rejoignant la Chesterland Historical Foundation.

• Cotisation annuelle :
• Simple : 20,00 $
• Famille : 30,00 $
• Entreprise : 35 $
• Mécène : 100,00 $
• À vie : 200,00 $


Château de Chester

Château de Chester est situé à l'extrémité sud-ouest de la zone délimitée par les murs de la ville et surplombant la rivière Dee. Le château a été construit en 1070 par Hugh d'Avranches, le deuxième comte de Chester et a accueilli de nombreuses personnalités puissantes de la période médiévale, notamment les rois Édouard Ier et Richard II.

La structure d'origine aurait été un château saxon à motte et bailey avec une tour en bois, qui a été remplacée au XIIe siècle par une tour carrée en pierre, la Flag Tower. The walls of an outer bailey were built in the 13th century, during the reign of Henry III.

Prominent people held as prisoners in the crypt of the Agricola Tower were Richard II and Eleanor Cobham, and Andrew de Moray, hero of the Battle of Stirling Bridge. The Agricola Tower is a Grade I listed building. It is built in sandstone ashlar with a metal roof in three storeys.


THE HOUSE THAT LOVE BUILT

Thornewood Castle was built to the specifications of Mr. Chester Thorne and his wife, Anna. Chester, having been a successful financier and one of the founders of the Port of Tacoma, spared no expense when it came to the planning and construction of this unique country estate for his family.

The creation of Thornewood was truly a labor of love. In 1907, Mr. Thorne purchased a 400-year-old Elizabethan manor in England and had parts of it dismantled and shipped piece by piece to be included in the main house. Renowned architect Kirtland Kelsey Cutter was in charge of this most interesting Tudor Gothic project.

Thornewood Castle is constructed with concrete and steel on a solid three-foot-thick foundation. Exterior walls are brick and concrete with steel reinforcement. The floors are ten inches of concrete. Construction took three years to complete, from 1908 to 1911, with many of the materials, including the front door, oak paneling, and oak staircase, coming from the castle in England. The red brick facing on the outside of the estate was imported from Wales. Three ships were commissioned to transport these building supplies around Cape Horn to the Pacific Northwest.


CASTLE

Founded by William I in 1070, the castle shortly afterwards came under the control of the earl of Chester and thereafter descended with the earldom. (fn. 1) It was temporarily in royal hands during the minorities of Earl Hugh II (1153–62) and Earl Ranulph III (1181–7), and passed permanently to the Crown with the earldom in 1237. (fn. 2) In 1254 it was granted to Henry III's son, the Lord Edward. (fn. 3) Acquired by Simon de Montfort after the battle of Lewes in 1264, (fn. 4) it was recovered by Edward in 1265 (fn. 5) and remained with the Crown until 1322, when it was granted to Edward II's favourite, Hugh Despenser the younger. (fn. 6) With Despenser's fall in 1326 it reverted to the king, and thereafter it continued Crown property until the Interregnum. (fn. 7) Although the Crown resumed control at the Restoration, thereafter upkeep of the shire hall and other county buildings increasingly devolved upon quarter sessions, and from 1690 became their responsibility alone. The Crown, however, continued to maintain the military buildings and fortifications. (fn. 8) Those ad hoc arrangements were formalized under Acts of 1788 and 1807 which vested new county buildings occupying roughly the site of the former outer bailey in the custos rotulorum of Cheshire. (fn. 9) The dual ownership thus established remained substantially unchanged in 2000.

Administrative And Military Functions

The castle was both the occasional residence of the Norman earls and their principal administrative centre, the base of such officials as the justice and chamberlain of Chester, their deputies and clerks. (fn. 10) Accounts were rendered at the exchequer there, and it was the location of the earl's chief court and prison. (fn. 11) Attached to it were certain lands. By the later 13th century, probably under an ancient arrangement, the castle demesne included 82 a. of land and 3 a. of meadow within the Earl's Eye, Handbridge, Brewer's Hall, Saltney, and Marlston cum Lache, all lying south of the Dee. (fn. 12)

After 1237 the castle remained the administrative centre of the palatinate, at first in the hands of royal keepers, later directly under the supervision of the Crown. (fn. 13) Daily administration was by a constable, first recorded c. 1216, (fn. 14) assisted by a staff generally including a keeper of the gaol, janitors of the upper and lower wards, serjeants, watchmen, chaplains, and clerks. (fn. 15)

An important base for royal operations against the Welsh, the castle was visited by Henry III in 1241 before he overran north Wales, and again in 1245. (fn. 16) The Lord Edward also used it as a base during the Welsh wars of 1256–67. (fn. 17) Its significance is reflected in his forceful action to recover it from Montfort's officials in 1265, when it was besieged for over 10 weeks by an army led by James of Audley and Urien of St. Pierre, and eventually surrendered to Edward in person. (fn. 18) After Edward's accession in 1272, the castle attained its greatest importance during the conquest of Wales. The king stayed there while fruitlessly awaiting Llywelyn ap Gruffudd's response to his summons to do homage in 1275 and again in 1277, (fn. 19) and in 1276 it was the supply base of William de Beauchamp, earl of Warwick. (fn. 20) In the second and third campaigns of 1282–3 and 1294 it was again the king's headquarters and an important military base. (fn. 21)

Though the castle's military importance declined after 1300, in the early 14th century it was relatively well maintained. In Edward I's later years it seems to have been well supplied with arms and provisions, and was the base of a craftsman engaged in making weaponry (attilliator). (fn. 22) Edward II also repaired the castle and provided it with stores and armour, though elsewhere his castles suffered from neglect. (fn. 23) There was still a resident staff of 12 in 1313. (fn. 24) The king ordered the castle to be put into a state of defence in 1317, (fn. 25) and after his fall in 1327 custody was granted to Thomas of Warwick and orders were issued for its provisioning and repair. (fn. 26) In 1329 a new attilliator was appointed. (fn. 27) By then, however, the castle seems to have served primarily as an administrative centre. (fn. 28)

In the last years of Richard II's reign the castle again became a favoured royal base. In 1396 the office of master mason, which had lapsed in 1374, was reintroduced, and in 1397 the office of keeper of the king's artillery in Cheshire and Flintshire first appeared. (fn. 29) Bolingbroke stayed there twice in 1399, (fn. 30) and in 1400 the castle, then occupied by the chamberlain of Chester, the county sheriff, and the constable, was unsuccessfully besieged during the Earls' Rising. (fn. 31) The rebellion temporarily enhanced the castle's military importance: early in 1400 it was garrisoned by 8 men-at-arms and 35 archers, and even in 1404 it was still protected by 8 archers. It also contained considerable stores of weapons and supplies. (fn. 32)

The Lancastrians replaced senior officials, including the constable, but left undisturbed such lesser men as the keeper of the artillery and the master carpenter. (fn. 33) The castle became primarily an administrative centre and a place of storage for the palatinate records, (fn. 34) and its military and strategic role again declined. Even so, the charter granted to the mayor and citizens of Chester in 1506 maintained its independence of the city. (fn. 35)

The castle became a base of the county justices introduced in 1536, (fn. 36) and in the later 16th century remained the seat of the principal palatine officials, including the vice-chamberlain it also provided supplies and lodging for soldiers before they embarked for Ireland, especially during the revolt of 1579–81. (fn. 37) During the Civil War siege of Chester it was the royalist headquarters, with a garrison commanded from 1642 by a military governor. It escaped physical damage and in 1646 was surrendered with all its arms, ordnance, and ammunition intact, to become the headquarters of a parliamentary garrison under a new military governor. (fn. 38) During the Interregnum it remained a supply base for parliamentary troops in Ireland, (fn. 39) and the location of monthly courts held by the county sheriff in the shire hall. (fn. 40) In 1659 it was put into a state of defence during the rising of Sir George Booth, and shots were exchanged with the royalists who had entered the city. (fn. 41)

The Cromwellian governor, Robert Venables, was removed in 1660. (fn. 42) Thereafter there seems to have been no garrison until 1662, when Sir Theophilus Gilbey was granted a warrant to enlist, arm, and keep under array c. 60 foot soldiers. The castle, whose strategic importance on the route to north Wales and Ireland continued to be recognized, was then felt to be in need of defence against sedition aroused by dispossessed nonconformist ministers. Late in 1662 Sir Evan Lloyd was appointed governor and shortly afterwards Gilbey asked for provisions, weaponry, and soldiers (fn. 43) a garrison was then thought necessary to safeguard against the great numbers of Presbyterians in and around Cheshire. (fn. 44) After the 1660s, however, royal interest seems to have waned, though Chester remained one of the army's principal strongholds, under the command of a governor and much visited by dignitaries travelling to and from Ireland. (fn. 45)

In 1680 the governor, Sir Geoffrey Shakerley, was ordered to disband the foot company garrisoning the castle, and by 1681 there remained only three gunners. (fn. 46) At the time of the duke of Monmouth's visit in 1682 its undefended state caused the government alarm. New commissions to act as governor were issued to Shakerley and then to his son Peter, and a new garrison was installed. (fn. 47)

The castle retained its large garrison in James II's reign with men quartered in public houses and private dwellings (fn. 48) a Roman Catholic chaplain was appointed, and in 1687 the king worshipped there. (fn. 49) Just before the fall of James, it housed eight companies of soldiers from Ireland, (fn. 50) together with arms and ammunition, maintained by a newly appointed 'furbisher' and supplied to troops travelling through Chester. (fn. 51)

Peter Shakerley was replaced as governor in 1689 by Sir John Morgan, Bt. Alarmed about the security of the numerous Irish prisoners because of Roman Catholic infiltration of the soldiery, he requested two new companies of 100 men, and by 1690 was involved in transporting troops to Ireland to repress Jacobites there. (fn. 52) Under his successor, however, the castle seems to have been less heavily manned, and in 1694 a company of c. 90 invalids was drawn from Chelsea hospital to form the garrison. (fn. 53) In 1696 the castle became one of five provincial centres to receive a mint for the recoinage. Staffed by a deputy comptroller (the astronomer Edmund Halley), a warden, master, assayer, and five other officials, it followed the processes used in London, issuing half-crowns, shillings, and sixpences, but functioned only until 1698. (fn. 54)

In the 18th century the castle's military significance declined. In the reign of George I military stores and ordnance, dating perhaps from the Civil War, were removed to the Tower of London. By 1728, though still commanded by a governor with two companies of invalid soldiers, the castle was described as 'destitute of arms almost for common defence'. (fn. 55) In 1745 an attack by the Jacobites was feared and attempts were made to remedy the situation, but in the event the castle saw no action. (fn. 56) The two companies of invalids remained until 1801, when they were disbanded, (fn. 57) but the castle was still notionally a garrison until 1843, commanded by a high-ranking governor and lieutenant-governor. (fn. 58) The rebuildings of the early 19th century had included barracks for 120 men and an armoury capable of storing 30,000 stand of arms. (fn. 59)

By the 1860s the castle was garrisoned by a company from a regiment stationed in Manchester and there was no barrack master. It was thus relatively unguarded, and in 1867 the Liverpool Fenians planned an attack. The plot was discovered and the garrison of 65 soldiers and 27 militiamen was reinforced by three additional companies from Manchester, local Volunteers, and, eventually, several hundred men from London and Aldershot (Hants). Although over 1,300 suspects were believed to have gathered in the city, and arms and ammunition were discovered in the suburbs, no attack took place. (fn. 60)

In 1873 the castle became the depot for the 22nd (Cheshire) Regiment. (fn. 61) The former exchequer court, housed in a block designed as barracks until its abolition in 1836, was transferred to the War Department in 1892. (fn. 62) Part of the block was made into the regimental museum in 1972. (fn. 63) In 2000 the castle remained the home of the regiment and of the Crown courts, for which a new building was provided in 1993. A new magistrates' court, designed by the county architect, was opened in Grosvenor Street in 1992. (fn. 64)

Buildings

The complex no longer looks like a castle: the medieval remains are fragmentary and the site is dominated by buildings erected in the late 18th and the early 19th century. From the late 11th century there survives only the castle mound, part of a motte and bailey whose outer ward was probably co-extensive with the later inner ward. The earliest buildings, presumably of wood, were from the 12th century replaced in stone. There was building while the castle was in royal hands, and particularly heavy expenditure in 1159–60, when £102 was spent on works and fortifications and £20 on the castle bridge. There is, however, no reason to suppose that such activity was confined to periods of royal guardianship it is especially likely that there was building under Earl Ranulph III, who also established a new castle at Beeston in the 1220s. (fn. 65) The new defences, which incorporated an earlier keep and enclosed what became the inner ward, almost certainly consisted of a stone wall with square towers characterized by flat corner buttresses. (fn. 66) Two of the towers survived in 2000: the Flag Tower on the site of the early keep, and the Agricola Tower, built c. 1210 as the gatehouse and chapel. (fn. 67) Either may have been the 'keep' approached by a bridge mentioned in 1238. (fn. 68) The chapel in the Agricola Tower, the capitals and vaulting of which are closely related to those in the east chapel in the north transept of Chester abbey, was adorned with paintings soon after its completion. Not long afterwards, perhaps in the early years of Henry III's reign, they were replaced by a second decorative scheme, of very high quality and focused upon the Virgin. (fn. 69)

Chester castle from outer ward, 1777: great hall (left), inner ward (background), well house (right)

Before the mid 13th century the castle was greatly enlarged by the addition north-west of the inner ward of a spacious outer bailey fortified by wooden palisading (fn. 70) both enclosures seem to have contained halls from an early date. (fn. 71) From the early 12th century there was also a garden in the castle ditch, later reputed to contain Earl Ranulph III's 'resting-tree'. (fn. 72)

Royal ownership conferred a new importance on the castle, reflected in improvements to the fabric. In 1241 Henry III's first visit occasioned the construction of an 'oriel' before the doorway of the king's chapel, (fn. 73) and in 1245 the king's apartments were repaired, the paintings in the queen's chamber were renewed, and a bridge was made from the castle into the orchard to enable the king and queen to take exercise. (fn. 74) More significant was a series of major works in the later 1240s and early 1250s, which marked the beginning of the removal of the principal apartments to the outer bailey. Between 1246 and 1248 a chamber over a cellar was erected at the considerable cost of nearly £220 and the wooden palisade of the outer bailey was replaced by a stone wall in 1249 the hall in the outer bailey was demolished and a new one, which was to cost over £350, was begun. (fn. 75) Though the work was still unfinished in 1253, (fn. 76) probably by then much had been achieved early to mid 13th-century features long survived in the south-west gable of the hall and inside the adjacent building, later known as the parliament chamber and originally perhaps a chapel. (fn. 77) Thereafter, the structure in the outer ward was designated the great hall and that in the inner ward the lesser hall. (fn. 78)

Under Edward I the royal accommodation was further improved and enlarged. Repairs were undertaken in 1275, and in 1276 the 'king's houses' in the outer bailey were renovated for the earl of Warwick and given a new chapel. (fn. 79) In 1283 Edward I's visit necessitated further repairs to the hall and royal apartments, and to towers and domestic buildings in both wards. (fn. 80) New domestic buildings were begun in 1284, and between then and 1291 over £1,400 was spent. The major works, under the supervision of a Master William, included repairs to the king's houses, new chambers for the king and queen, and a stable, all probably in the outer bailey north and east of the great hall. (fn. 81) Further work in 1292–3 included a new gatehouse to the outer ward which cost over £318 and eventually comprised twin drum towers, a vaulted passageway with two portcullises, and extensive accommodation, including a prison. The master of works was William of Marlow, presumably the mason engaged at the castle in 1284–91. (fn. 82) Either then or a little earlier, a new inner gatehouse was built west of the Agricola Tower, which was blocked and given a new staircase, presumably in preparation for the conversion of its chapel into a treasury in 1301. (fn. 83) The decorative scheme in the tower chapel was then covered with limewash, removed only in the 1990s. (fn. 84)

By 1294 the castle comprised an inner bailey with hall, chapel, and apartments, and an outer bailey with great hall, exchequer, and further apartments for the king and queen, including separate chapels. (fn. 85) The decoration of the chapels and living quarters continued into the 14th century. Ten ceiling corbels in the king's great chamber were coloured c. 1299, and shortly afterwards William of Northampton adorned the 'lesser chapel near the great hall' with a depiction of the murder of Thomas Becket. By then, too, glass windows had been installed in the 'greater' and 'lesser' chapels. (fn. 86)

All such work was under the control of Richard the engineer, perhaps as early as the 1270s and certainly by 1300. A royal architect much involved in the construction of the Welsh castles and a local man of substance, he retained the post of engineer until his death in 1315. After 1325 the office was discontinued and work was in the hands of master carpenters and masons, assisted by a small permanent staff. (fn. 87)

The castle's principal officials resided in the inner ward, where in 1328 the justice of Chester's deputy had his hall, chamber, and a new kitchen, and where Damory's Tower contained the former chamber of the justice himself. The constable also then had his lodgings in the inner ward. (fn. 88) The main administrative buildings, the shire hall and exchequer, were for long in the outer bailey, but in 1310 the shire hall was removed to a new position just outside the main gate. (fn. 89) A new exchequer was built within the castle in 1355, but in 1401 it too was moved outside to a building adjoining the shire hall. (fn. 90)

Although large sums were spent on repairs in the early years of Edward II's reign, especially to the outer gatehouse, (fn. 91) after 1329 the fabric suffered long periods of neglect, punctuated by occasional, often inadequate, refurbishments. In 1337, when over 100 yd. of wall had to be rebuilt, repairs were needed to the constable's hall and other buildings in the inner ward, and to the bridges leading to the two gatehouses. (fn. 92) By 1347 the Gonkes Tower, Chapel Tower, and Damory's Tower, the great chapel, the great chamber at the east end of the hall, the earl's smaller chamber and its chapel, and the great hall itself were all in disrepair. (fn. 93) Large sums were spent on the inner ward in the mid 1350s, (fn. 94) and further repairs were ordered by Richard II in the 1390s. (fn. 95) In Henry VI's reign expenditure on maintenance was generous, averaging £25 a year. (fn. 96) Work continued under the control of a master mason and master carpenter, of whom the latter at least had a house within the castle. Under the Yorkists, however, the office of master mason lapsed. (fn. 97)

Henry VII, who appointed a master mason in 1495, continued to spend c. £25 a year on maintenance, higher than average for such buildings but still inadequate. (fn. 98) In 1511 repairs costing over £272 were made to the great hall, the gatehouses, and the shire hall outside the gate. (fn. 99) The Half Moon Tower in the inner ward may also have been built then. (fn. 100) By the 1530s, however, the great hall was in ruins, and between 1577 and 1582 it was almost completely rebuilt at a cost of £650 to house the shire court. (fn. 101) At the same time the 'parliament chamber', immediately south of the great hall, was reconditioned to accommodate the exchequer court. (fn. 102) No other repairs were made, and by the early 17th century the whole castle, including the prison, was in very poor condition. (fn. 103) Despite the expenditure of 500 marks in 1613, a survey undertaken in 1624 for the county justices, on whom the cost of maintenance increasingly devolved, found much of the castle in a bad state. The shire hall was very ruinous, the bridge into the castle so dangerous as to be unusable, and the castle chapel 'much more ruinous than heretofore' other dilapidated buildings included the judges' and constable's lodgings, the protonotary's office, and the gatehouse prison. Although the royal earl's representatives felt that costs should be borne by the county authorities, they themselves reluctantly paid for repairs in 1627–8, including a new bridge. (fn. 104) The results were probably not entirely satisfactory: though earlier described as 'habitable', in 1636 the castle was condemned as 'old and ruinous'. (fn. 105)

Although the castle suffered no damage during the Civil War siege, (fn. 106) after the Restoration the fabric was far out of repair. Early in 1661 much of the outer gatehouse fell down, and the county surveyor, John Shaw, estimated the cost of restoring it and other buildings as at least £860. (fn. 107) Shaw began repairs, but work was delayed by his failure to obtain adequate authorization. In 1662, after a further survey, the cost of repairs was put at £5,000. In the event, between 1660 and 1664 only just over £546 was spent on repairs to the grand jury's chamber, the constable's lodgings, and the protonotary's office. Shaw himself was paid only with reluctance in 1663. (fn. 108)

In 1666 fears of a rising of disaffected parliamentarians stimulated further action. The king ordered that the proceeds of the local mize, a county-wide tax, be paid to the governor, but seems to have overestimated the money available and work on the fabric proceeded very slowly. (fn. 109) In 1687 the castle received a new armoury in the west range of the inner ward, and an armourer's workshop, the Frobisher's Shop, behind the Half Moon Tower. (fn. 110) New fortifications, including a gun platform, were built in 1689, and further work was carried out on the armoury and barracks in 1691. (fn. 111) The county buildings, however, remained ruinous, the roof of the exchequer court and much of the protonotary's office having collapsed. They were repaired in 1685 and 1690, when £420 paid to the master masons Thomas and Peter Whitley proved to be the Crown's final expenditure upon them. (fn. 112)

The mint of 1696 was housed in the new extension to the Half Moon Tower. (fn. 113) Its installation involved the construction of mint ovens and chimneys and other alterations to the Frobisher's Shop, and after its closure in 1698 an estimate was ordered for the cost of restoring the shop to its former condition. (fn. 114) In 1699 the London mint paid £2,000 to the governor for the use of buildings within the castle. (fn. 115)

In 1745, with the rebellion of the Young Pretender, the lord lieutenant, George, earl of Cholmondeley, was zealous in putting Chester in a state of defence. He repaired the castle's decayed fortifications and added raised batteries in the inner and outer wards and a platform with a parapet south-east of the great hall. The military architect Alexander de Lavaux was engaged to draw up a plan to strengthen the fortifications, but his scheme, which consisted of four bastions joined by outworks flanking the ancient defences, was never carried out. (fn. 116)

Thereafter the castle was so neglected that in the 1760s a large portion of the curtain wall of the inner ward behind the armoury fell down. The breach was probably repaired in the 1770s, and further work was done in 1786, when Lord Cholmondeley's battery was reconstructed or refaced. Then or later the front of the curtain wall was cut back and the Flag Tower stripped of its external buttresses. (fn. 117)

When in 1785 quarter sessions ordered the rebuilding of the county gaol, a competition was held and won by Thomas Harrison, whose plans also involved the demolition and replacement of many buildings in the outer bailey, including the exchequer, grand jury room, protonotary's office, and eventually the shire hall. (fn. 118) In 1788 an Act of Parliament was obtained authorizing the scheme and setting up commissioners drawn from local gentry, clergy, and J.P.s to supervise its execution. (fn. 119) Harrison's early designs comprised a single block with a recessed portico and wings housing the shire hall, a room to serve both as grand jury room and exchequer, and other offices (fn. 120) behind was the prison. (fn. 121) The main buildings, in the neo-classical style of which the architect was a master, were faced with Manley stone, while Runcorn stone and local red sandstone were used inside and in the foundations. (fn. 122) Harrison began in 1788 by demolishing the exchequer and the constable's house, and then moved on to build the prison and the southern parts of the main block. (fn. 123) As work proceeded he and the commissioners grew more ambitious. In 1789 a passage with a new gateway was opened into the upper ward, and the consent of the Board of Ordnance was obtained for the removal of the outer gatehouse, to be replaced by a new arch and guard rooms. (fn. 124) By 1791 the exchequer and grand jury room, the protonotary's office, and the prisoners' wards had all been finished, and the commissioners were anxious to proceed with the new shire hall. Harrison, however, submitted his plans only in 1792. (fn. 125) He continued to revise the scheme as late as 1793, some time after the demolition of the old shire hall the portico seems to have caused him especial trouble, and went through several phases before achieving the imposing final design, with its double row of giant Doric columns. (fn. 126) Further difficulties arose from the discovery in 1794 that William Bell, the superintendent of works since 1788, had wasted stone and embezzled funds and materials. Bell was dismissed, and Harrison, who seems to have been responsible for his exposure, replaced him as surveyor. (fn. 127) Examination of the work supervised by Bell revealed that the pillars in the prison chapel would not support the planned superstructure and there were additional delays while the foundations were relaid. (fn. 128) A new contractor, William Cole the elder, was appointed in 1797. By then the shire hall was substantially complete, except for the roof, finished in 1799: a 'magnificent hall of justice', it comprised a large semi-circular, semi-domed court room ringed with an Ionic colonnade. The main block seems to have been completed shortly after, for in 1800 the finishing touches were put to the portico and prison chapel. (fn. 129) In the form finally executed it had a facade of 19 bays, with a projecting portico of ashlar and rusticated wings on either side.

Chester castle: Harrison's completed scheme for outer ward

From 1795 the commissioners had been anxious to buy adjoining land to permit the enlargement of the castle yard and provide a suitable setting for the new buildings, and in 1803 they purchased all the buildings in Gloverstone. (fn. 130) Plans to enlarge the castle yard and build a new armoury, uniform with the main block, received the consent of the Board of Ordnance in 1804 the new building, which necessitated the demolition of the inner gatehouse, the Square Tower, and part of the curtain wall of the inner ward, was paid for partly by the Crown and partly by the county, which was responsible for the end walls and the front of nine bays with its attached Ionic half-columns. (fn. 131) A corresponding block, housing the barracks, military cells, and exchequer court, was begun in 1806 north of the outer ward, on the site of the old cells and barracks, after similar arrangements to share the cost had been agreed between the county and the Barrack Master General. (fn. 132) Such major departures from the original plan required a new Act of Parliament, obtained in 1807. (fn. 133)

In 1810, though the barrack block was probably still incomplete, the final phase of the rebuilding began. A ditch faced with a stone wall was constructed round the castle yard and a new entrance was planned. Harrison's original scheme for a Doric gateway was altered in 1811 and made more elaborate in 1813, when four columns were added to the west side of the entrance. The completed 'propylaeum' comprised two pedimented lodges with east-facing porticoes and a central entrance block with columns projecting to the west, (fn. 134) the first use of the primitive Doric order in England. (fn. 135)

Harrison was perhaps also responsible for alterations to the inner bailey, including rebuilding the front wall of the armoury and refacing and refenestrating the old mint building and the Half Moon Tower. (fn. 136) His pupil, William Cole the younger, continued to work at the castle, and designed the military hospital, a plain brick building erected in 1826 in Castle Street. (fn. 137)

Further changes, begun in 1831, involved the demolition of the officers' barracks and judges' lodgings in the south-east range of the inner ward, to make way for a new armoury, and the conversion of the old armoury, Harrison's southern wing, into accommodation for officers and judges. The new works cost a little under £7,000, of which £1,000 was provided by the county. Among those who were then paid substantial sums was the Chester architect James Harrison, and it is possible therefore that he was responsible for the design of the new armoury, a plain rectangular freestanding building faced in local stone. (fn. 138) With the completion of the work in 1836 all that remained of the ancient castle was the Agricola Tower and the much altered Half Moon and Flag Towers.

County gaol from east (left centre)

There were important alterations to the south-west corner of Harrison's main block in the lower ward in the late 19th century. In 1875–7 a new nisi prius (civil) court was built, to designs by T. M. Lockwood, and in 1891 the protonotary's office was converted into a council chamber for the new county council. (fn. 139) The interior of the shire hall was rearranged c. 1881 and in 1895–6. (fn. 140) Harrison's barrack block was restored in 1922. (fn. 141)

After 1892 the site of the prison became a drill ground for the local Volunteer artillery. It was eventually occupied by a new county hall built between 1939 and 1957. (fn. 142) A new militia barracks for the permanent staff of the 1st Regiment of the Royal Cheshire Militia was built by the county authorities outside the castle precinct in Nuns' Gardens to designs by T. M. Penson in 1858–9. In an extravagant 13thcentury castellated style with many towers and turrets and a gateway with a portcullis, it was sold to the War Department in 1874 and after 1882 housed married non-commissioned officers of the regimental depot. The building was repurchased by the county council in 1963 and demolished in 1964. (fn. 143)

County gaol

The castle was used as a gaol by 1241, when Welsh hostages were confined there. (fn. 144) Under Edward I prisoners included local notables, (fn. 145) hostages taken from Prince Llywelyn in 1277, (fn. 146) and Llywelyn's brother Dafydd with five of his squires in 1283. (fn. 147) In 1294–5, when the gaol probably occupied the rebuilt outer gatehouse, it again received many Welsh hostages, (fn. 148) a few of whom were detained until c. 1300 and the last until the 1330s. (fn. 149) Besides the Welsh there were also six Scots, taken at Dunbar in 1296, and in 1301–2 still at the castle, which by then contained four prisons. (fn. 150) The castle was again briefly filled with hostages taken from the citizens at the time of Edward II's murder (fn. 151) and from the Welsh during Glyn Dwr's revolt. (fn. 152)

By the 16th century the county gaol was situated in the outer gatehouse and the adjoining former exchequer. (fn. 153) It became a detention centre for recusants in the 1580s and 1590s, its importance enhanced by its position on the Irish route. (fn. 154) In 1648 it was refurbished and restored to use after the discovery of a royalist plot to recover castle and city. (fn. 155) The castle was again full of prisoners after the royalist defeat at the battle of Worcester in 1651, and was later the scene of the trial of notables. (fn. 156) It still contained prisoners, including a number of Scotsmen, in 1653. (fn. 157) The numbers detained rose again after the repression of Booth's rebellion in 1659. (fn. 158)

By 1681 the prison was in great decay. Although the Crown met the heavy costs of renovation, thereafter its maintenance was left to the county authorities, who by the 1690s were raising levies for further repairs. (fn. 159) In 1715, after the government's victory at Preston, c. 500 Jacobite prisoners were brought to the castle. Because of a quarrel between the governor and Chester corporation they were held there until 1717 in crowded conditions, and disease spread from them to the soldiers. (fn. 160)

By the 1770s the prison in the north-east corner of the castle was clearly unsatisfactory cramped and airless, it was compared by the reformer John Howard to the Black Hole of Calcutta, (fn. 161) and in 1784 it was presented at the assizes as out of repair and insufficient. (fn. 162) In 1785 the Cheshire quarter sessions ordered its rebuilding. (fn. 163) Thomas Harrison's new prison, opened in 1793, was designed according to the enlightened principles advocated by Howard. Although planned before the publication of Jeremy Bentham's Panopticon, it was 'panoptic' in the sense that, as in Bentham's scheme, the gaoler's house overlooked the felons' yards. (fn. 164)

The prison, which had been found inadequate by the visiting justices in 1865, was transferred from county control to the Crown in 1877 and closed to civil prisoners in 1884, though there continued to be a small military prison in the castle until 1893. The gaol buildings were purchased by the county council in 1894 and demolished in 1900–2, (fn. 165) the site being used later for a new county hall.


Chester Castle - History

Whitehead County Antrim Northern Ireland

Whitehead is a Victorian Railway Town built on the site of a former hamlet around Castle Chichester. Much of its history can be found in the book "Whitehead: The Town with no Streets" by P J O'Donnell.

Some other information can be found in several sources available in Whitehead Library or elsewhere. A few extracts, fully credited, are given here and more will be added.

Castle Chichester, a ruin, which lies on private land and which cannot be accessed, can still be seen in Chester Avenue, opposite the junction with the King's Road, Whitehead, or from Marine Parade. “ Its square form, the style of its construction, particularly in its secret stairs constructed in its walls, suggest the idea that its erection took place in the 12th or 13th century….. . Its name, however, would imply otherwise, as the Chichesters were not possessed of any property in this country until the conclusion of the 16th century …… .

There was, until about the middle of the 17th century, a considerable village or town at Castle Chichester. It possessed a harbour or quay, of which the remains are still to be seen. It had a considerable trade with Scotland, and was the station from whence the mails were dispatched to that country. The castle may probably have been for some time occupied by some of the Chichesters, or from some other cause or motive have received its present name on becoming their property.” Taken from “ Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland Parishes of County Antrim III 1833, 1835, 1839 - 40 Larne and Island Magee Vol.10 Edited by Angelique Day and Patrick McWilliams The Institute of Irish Studies The Queen's University of Belfast ”

“Upwards of 100 years ago a packet boat used to call at Castlechichester from Scotland to discharge its cargo and deliver letters. A small boat used to attend the Parish to convey the letters to Belfast from Castlechichester for which it received £100 per annum. At that time an agent resided at Castlechichester.” Taken from “ N.I Public Record Office Parish of Island Magee 1830 - 1840 Island Magee Parish Box 11 Antrim XI by James Boyle 1840 ”

Do you have reminiscences about Whitehead or old photographs you think others would like to see? You story and photographs could be included on these pages.


Voir la vidéo: CASTLE OF GLASS Official Music Video - Linkin Park (Janvier 2022).