Nouvelles

Château d'Okehampton

Château d'Okehampton


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Inscrit dans le Doomsday Book de 1086, le château d'Okehampton dans le Devon, en Angleterre, a été construit à l'époque normande et agrandi au 14ème siècle pour devenir la demeure seigneuriale du comte de Devon, Hugh de Courtenay.

Le château d'Okehampton resta la propriété de la famille Courtenay jusqu'en 1538, date à laquelle Henry de Courtenay entra en conflit avec Henri VIII au sujet de la Réforme et fut exécuté dans la Tour de Londres. Par la suite, le château d'Okehampton est tombé en désuétude. Les vestiges du château d'Okehampton sont désormais ouverts au public et gérés par English Heritage.

Histoire du château d'Okehampton

Après la conquête normande de l'Angleterre, le château d'Okehamption a été construit entre 1068 et 1086 par le seigneur normand, Baldwin Fitzgilbert qui a réprimé une rébellion dans le Devon en 1068. Au moment du livre Domesday Fitzgilbert avait l'honneur d'Okehampton : un groupe d'environ 200 domaines à travers le Devon gardés par des châteaux dont Okehamption.

Le château était positionné stratégiquement le long d'une route importante allant du Devon à Cornwall, et était protégé par un système de garde du château par lequel Fitzgilbert attribuait des terres en remboursement de la garnison. Il a également établi une ville voisine qui avait un marché et un moulin à grains. En 1173, Okehampton passa à Renaud de Courtenay par mariage et le château servit plus tard de fort militaire réquisitionné par Richard I. Les de Courtenay installèrent une nouvelle cour.

Hugh de Courtenay, comte de Devon a hérité d'Okehampton en 1297, agrandissant les installations pour inclure un parc à cerfs de 690 hectares qui sera utilisé comme pavillon de chasse avec une résidence de luxe. Cependant, au XVe siècle, la famille de Courtenay fut prise du côté yorkiste de la guerre des roses. Edward IV confisqua le château, bien qu'il fut rendu par le Lancastre Henri VI. Lorsque Henri VII monta sur le trône en 1485, le conflit prit fin et Okehampton fut rendu à la famille.

La propriété du château est restée importante et était proche de la bataille de Sourton Down pendant la guerre civile anglaise. Le château était une destination populaire pour les artistes du 18ème siècle des styles Sublime et Pittoresque. Au 20ème siècle, Okehampton a finalement été placé sous la protection du patrimoine anglais en tant que monument antique.

Le château d'Okehampton aujourd'hui

Aujourd'hui, prenez un audioguide gratuit pour entendre l'histoire du château, mêlée aux histoires des rois anglais. En vous promenant autour de la motte, vous pouvez voir où se trouvait autrefois le fossé de 4 mètres de profondeur, en regardant les ruines de la grande structure.

Arrêtez-vous pour déjeuner dans une belle aire de pique-nique au bord de la rivière avant d'explorer les promenades dans les bois à proximité - un endroit idéal pour les ornithologues amateurs et les amateurs de fleurs sauvages qui sont dispersées dans la prairie, les bois et la motte.

Se rendre au château d'Okehampton

En voiture, Okehampton se trouve à 800 mètres au sud-ouest du centre-ville, devenant Castle Road près du bureau de poste, clairement indiqué. Il y a un parking gratuit à quelques pas le long d'une ruelle du château. En transports en commun, prenez la ligne de chemin de fer de Dartmoor jusqu'à Okehampton, à 800 mètres. Le service de bus Stagecoach X9, le bus Beacon 118 et la ligne Dartline 178 s'arrêtent tous dans la ville.


Château d'Okehampton - Histoire

CHÂTEAU D'OKEHAMPTON, EX20 1JA

Remarques : Le parking du château est situé à Castle Lane - vous verrez un panneau vous indiquant cette direction au rond-point. Si vous manquez le panneau, vous vous retrouverez sur la colline adjacente surplombant le château.

Importantes ruines d'un château de motte et bailey situé dans un bois. Il y a un accès au dessus de la motte mais malheureusement pas au dessus du sommet qui la couronne. Notez que le château n'est ouvert que pendant les mois d'été.

1. Baldwin FitzGilbert (également connu sous le nom de Baldwin de Meules) avait accompagné Guillaume Ier lors de l'invasion de l'Angleterre en 1066 et avait été richement récompensé. Le livre Domesday de 1086 montre de vastes propriétés foncières dans le Devon. En plus de son château d'Okehampton, il a été nommé châtelain du château d'Exeter.

2. Aux XIVe et XVe siècles, le château d'Okehampton appartenait à la famille Courtenay

Dominant la rivière Okement, le château d'Okehampton a commencé sa vie comme un avant-poste normand au service de la campagne militaire de conquête et de contrôle dans le West Country. Mis à part cette première fonction militaire, le château n'est pas enregistré comme ayant un service actif par la suite et a principalement servi de pavillon de chasse.

HISTOIRE DU CHÂTEAU D'OKEHAMPTON

Alors que la rébellion contre l'invasion normande se préparait dans le Sud-Ouest, Guillaume Ier (le Conquérant) nomma l'un de ses plus proches partisans comme shérif du Devon. Baldwin FitzGilbert (également connu sous le nom de Baldwin de Meules) a obtenu la permission de construire son propre château et il a choisi Okehampton où il a construit un château traditionnel à motte et bailey visant à dominer la colonie saxonne voisine d'Ocmundtune ainsi que plusieurs routes commerciales à proximité.

Le château initial, tel que construit au début du XIe siècle, était en grande partie une affaire de bois, bien que la tour qui surmontait la motte avait des fondations en pierre et peut-être en partie une construction en pierre. Un marché prospère s'est développé autour du château, comme indiqué dans le livre Domesday, mais peu d'informations supplémentaires sont connues sur le château à cette époque. Il n'est certainement pas enregistré comme jouant un rôle dans la guerre civile entre le roi Stephen et la reine Mathilde.

À la fin du XIIIe siècle, faute de modifications importantes, le château était obsolète. De plus, son rôle de forteresse militaire était devenu superflu, les propriétaires ayant déplacé leur attention vers leur résidence principale à Tiverton. Des modifications ont été apportées pour faire du château une retraite attrayante pour la chasse.

Contrairement à la plupart des autres châteaux de la région, Okehampton n'a pas pris part à la guerre civile, peut-être parce qu'elle était trop ruineuse. Par la suite, le château a été autorisé à se dégrader lentement jusqu'à ce qu'il soit pris en charge en 1917.


Château de Tiverton

Avec la fin du verrouillage britannique, nous espérons ouvrir le château après le 22 juillet 2021.

Les Jardins sont visibles à partir du 1er juillet. Veuillez appeler le 01884 253200 ou envoyer un e-mail à [email protected] pour réserver entre 14h30 et 17h30 les dimanches et jeudis. Paiement en espèces à l'arrivée.

Nos gîtes sont disponibles à la location.

Peu de bâtiments évoquent un tel sentiment d'histoire que le vénérable château de Tiverton.

La première mention de Tiverton se trouve dans le testament du roi Alfred de 885. Il possédait le manoir de Tiverton et mourut en 899. En 1066, il appartenait à la princesse Gytha, la mère du roi Harold, mais Guillaume le Conquérant en prit possession.

Construit à l'origine en 1106 sur ordre d'Henri I, puis reconstruit et agrandi aux XIIIe et XIVe siècles, le château de Tiverton était autrefois la demeure des puissants comtes médiévaux de Devon et d'une princesse Plantagenêt. Avec des ajouts et des modifications ultérieurs au cours des siècles, toutes les périodes de l'architecture, du médiéval au moderne, peuvent être vues, avec de beaux jardins clos dans les ruines romantiques.

Assiégé pendant la guerre civile anglaise par le général Sir Thomas Fairfax, il tomba à cause d'un coup chanceux touchant une chaîne de pont-levis. Ce fut la seule fois de sa longue histoire qu'il vit une bataille.

En partie classé monument historique et en partie classé Grade I, le château est la maison privée d'Angus et d'Alison Gordon, qui sont heureux de le partager avec d'autres des manières suivantes :

Le château n'est plus disponible pour les mariages, les événements ou les réceptions.

Contactez le château de Tiverton pour plus de détails à notre bureau au 01884 253 200


Château d'Okehampton

Dans la paroisse civile d'Okehampton Hamlets.
Dans le comté historique du Devonshire.
Autorité moderne du Devon.
1974 comté de Devon.
Comté médiéval du Devon.

Référence de la grille de la carte du système d'exploitation : SX583942
Latitude 50,73053° Longitude -4,00849°

Le château d'Okehampton a été décrit comme un certain château de bois, et aussi comme un certain château de maçonnerie.

Il y a des ruines/vestiges de maçonnerie.

Ce site est un monument classé protégé par la loi. Il s'agit d'un bâtiment classé Grade 1 protégé par la loi*.

Le château d'Okehampton a été construit peu de temps après la conquête normande et est stratégiquement situé à proximité du centre du Devon, où se rencontrent d'importantes routes, sur un éperon naturel de schiste séparé de la colline par un immense fossé. Il a été enregistré dans l'enquête Domesday de 1086 après JC comme appartenant à Baudouin de Brionne, qui était devenu shérif du Devon en 1070 après JC. En 1274, le château, propriété de la famille Courtenay, était à moitié abandonné. Quelques années plus tard, il fut reconstruit et agrandi, non pas comme une forteresse mais comme une résidence occasionnelle au centre d'un grand parc aux daims. En 1539, Edward Courtenay est soupçonné de trahison et exécuté par Henri VIII. Le château a été dépouillé de ses installations et de ses accessoires et est tombé en ruine, étant utilisé comme source de matériaux de construction pour la population locale. Le château comprend une grande motte, la motte sur laquelle est situé un donjon en pierre. Les vestiges existants comprennent la structure du donjon carré du XIe siècle construit par Baldwin. Cela a été ajouté à C14 pour créer une structure rectangulaire de trois étages. La motte, d'une hauteur d'environ 8 mètres, est constituée de l'éperon naturel et de dépôts artificiels. Au nord-est de la motte se trouvait la basse-cour qui contenait les bâtiments servant à nourrir et à loger les occupants. Les bâtiments survivants datent pour la plupart du C14 et auraient à l'origine composé d'une grande salle, d'écuries, d'une chapelle, de cuisines et d'autres pièces domestiques ou de stockage. La cour était défendue par des courtines, qui peuvent dater du C12, le long des côtés nord et sud. À l'extrémité nord-est se trouvait une double guérite reliée par un couloir. À l'ouest de la motte se trouvent des travaux de terrassement, qui représenteraient les vestiges d'une ancienne cour d'enceinte de construction similaire à la motte. On pense que les découvertes résiduelles de tuiles romaines et de poteries trouvées près du château indiquent l'emplacement possible d'une villa. (PastScape)

Le château d'Okehampton est situé dans un coude et au nord de la rivière West Okement, à environ 500 m au sud-ouest de la ville d'Okehampton. Le site commande la vallée à travers laquelle la route de Devon à Cornwall passait, avant la construction de la route ultérieure coupée plus haut du côté de la vallée au nord. Le château d'origine était de construction motte et bailey et a été construit en 1086 après JC, lorsqu'il a été enregistré dans le livre Domesday comme appartenant au shérif Baldwin. Le château comprend une grande motte, la motte, sur laquelle est situé le donjon. Une partie de ce donjon aurait été construite par le shérif Baldwin et est la plus ancienne des structures en pierre ayant survécu. Le donjon du 11ème siècle était carré mais a été ajouté au 14ème siècle pour créer un bâtiment rectangulaire qui survit comme une structure en ruine de trois étages. La motte sur laquelle il repose a un sommet d'environ 25 m sur 30 m de diamètre tandis qu'à son point le plus large, la base mesure plus de 60 m de diamètre. La motte est constituée en partie de l'éperon naturel sur lequel se trouve le château et en partie de dépôts artificiels lui conférant une hauteur d'environ 8m. Au nord-est de la motte se trouve la cour principale du château, qui contenait des bâtiments essentiels au logement et à l'alimentation des occupants du château. Les bâtiments survivants datent pour la plupart du 14ème siècle et de nombreux bâtiments d'origine de la cour d'enceinte auraient été démolis pour leur faire place. Les bâtiments de la basse-cour abritaient les habitants du château, des pièces de stockage et des locaux d'activités comprenant des pièces domestiques, une grande salle, des écuries, une chapelle et des cuisines. La défense était assurée par des courtines le long des côtés nord et sud de la basse-cour tandis qu'un double corps de garde relié par un couloir offrait une formidable entrée au château à l'extrémité nord-est. Des recherches récentes suggèrent que les murs-rideaux suivent la ligne de la défense de la basse-cour antérieure et datent probablement de la fin du XIIe siècle. À l'ouest du fossé de la carrière qui entoure la motte, il y a un éperon sur lequel subsiste un terrassement s'étendant approximativement du nord au sud avant de tourner vers l'est le long du sommet de la pente raide surplombant la rivière West Okement. Ce terrassement est probablement la limite d'une basse-cour plus ancienne que celle à l'est et sa construction est similaire à celle de la motte, toutes deux étant construites en schiste de carrière et en terre. Le site du château contient également d'autres ruines au nord-ouest de la motte, dans une enceinte au nord du ruisseau qui traverse le site. Ceux-ci survivent sous la forme d'un certain nombre d'étendues dispersées de mur d'environ 0,75 m de large et variant de moins de 1 m à plusieurs mètres de long. Ces vestiges visibles semblent faire partie d'autres bâtiments enfouis sous la surface. Le ruisseau se jette dans la rivière West Okement au nord-est du château et est contigu à un certain nombre de légers travaux de terrassement qui sont censés représenter une défense supplémentaire du côté nord du château et un certain nombre de structures postérieures construites après l'extinction du château. utile. Okehampton est le seul château du Devon mentionné dans le livre Domesday et a ensuite été acquis par les Courtenay qui étaient responsables de la majorité des bâtiments en pierre qui survivent aujourd'hui. (Rapport de planification)

La valeur stratégique du site peut être surestimée et ce château peut avoir été, dès le départ, un pavillon de chasse important et majeur. Le château militaire et administratif principal de De Brionnes était le château de Rougemont, Exeter. De manière significative, le château se trouve à une certaine distance de la ville. L'emplacement et la fonction doivent être comparés au château de Restormel, à Cornwall, et aux travaux récents effectués sur ce château par Oliver Creighton.

Liens vers des bases de données archéologiques et architecturales, des cartes et d'autres ressources en ligne


Okehampton, Devon

Okehampton, un arrondissement municipal, un canton et une paroisse du Devonshire. La ville se dresse dans une vallée, au confluent des rivières East Okement et West Okement, et à la frontière N de Dartmoor, au milieu d'un environnement complet de collines, sa plus petite élévation étant de 500 pieds au-dessus du niveau de la mer, 3¾ miles N par E du sommet de Yes Tor, à plus de 2000 pieds de haut, avec une station sur le L. & SWR, à 197 miles de Londres, et 22 W par N d'Exeter. Il a un bureau de poste principal. Il était connu à Domesday sous le nom d'Ockmenton, et était le chef de la baronnie ou comté de Devon, et le siège des shérifs héréditaires du comté, gardiens du château d'Exeter. La baronnie qui était l'une des plus importantes du royaume fut donnée par Guillaume le Conquérant à Baudouin de Brioniis allé par mariage au temps d'Henri II. aux Conrtenay a continué avec eux jusqu'à l'époque d'Edouard IV., et a ensuite été confisqué par Thomas, comte de Devon, pour avoir participé avec Henri VI. passé de là, jusqu'à ce que l'accession d'Henri VII.) par diverses mains a été, à l'accession d'Henri VII. Courtenay, marquis d'Exeter remonta au temps de Marie dans les Courtenay et passa par mariage au temps de Charles Ier aux Mohuns, qui devinrent barons d'Okehampton et échouèrent en 1712. Les barons exerçaient un grand pouvoir dans toute la baronnie, exerçaient le droit de la peine capitale sur huit manoirs, et a agi comme intendants lors de l'installation des évêques du diocèse. Un château majestueux a été construit sur le côté de l'Okement, à environ trois quarts de mile au sud-ouest de la ville, par Baldwin de Brioniis semble avoir été agrandi, restauré et embelli par les barons ultérieurs qui ont servi de siège à la grande puissance baronnie jusqu'à la déchéance au temps d'Henri VIII. et a ensuite été démantelé et les terrains qui y étaient liés ont été dévastés, de sorte qu'il n'a plus jamais été habité. Les ruines de celui-ci sont toujours debout et forment, avec les objets qui les entourent, une image très frappante qu'ils occupent le sommet et les pentes d'un mont rocheux, recouverts d'arbres épais, ils montrent que le château, à la fois en termes de position et de structure, a été très forts, ils forment une grande masse ou un groupe de maçonnerie, et pourtant sont tellement embossés dans le bois qu'ils ne sont que légèrement visibles de la route qui les approche et ils comprennent un petit donjon quadrangulaire couronnant de date anglaise décorée ou postérieure, et des bâtiments inférieurs, avec grande salle, de nombreuses chambres et une partie d'une chapelle, dont la date va du début de l'anglais au perpendiculaire. La ville a été visitée deux fois par Charles I. et deux fois par Sir Thomas Fairfax pendant les guerres civiles. Toutes les parties environnantes de Dartmoor regorgent de paysages pittoresques et romantiques et offrent en même temps des pâturages à de nombreux troupeaux de moutons.

L'arrondissement est bien approvisionné en eau provenant de Dartmoor, dispose d'un système de drainage efficace et est l'une des stations balnéaires les plus saines du Devonshire. En 1887, le pont est a été élargi d'environ 10 pieds. Il y a trois moulins à farine et quelques grands travaux d'ébénisterie et de menuiserie. C'est un siège de petites sessions et de tribunaux de comté, sert de centre pratique pour des excursions à Dartmoor, et a trois banques, un bon hôtel, plusieurs excellentes auberges, deux ponts, un hôtel de ville, un marché, deux églises, quatre chapelles dissidentes, un workhouse et des œuvres caritatives. L'hôtel de ville se trouve dans Fore Street, est un grand bâtiment et est utilisé pour les tribunaux. La maison du marché jouxte l'hôtel de ville et a été construite en 1826. Une halle à beurre et à volailles a été construite en 1880. L'église paroissiale se dresse sur une éminence audacieuse à environ 800 mètres à l'ouest de la ville, a été détruite par un incendie à l'exception de la tour en 1842, fut bientôt reconstruit à un coût de £3500, et est un grand et bel édifice de style gothique avec une tour élevée. La chapelle St James se dresse dans la ville, était à l'origine une chapelle de chantrie, date d'un certain temps avant le 13ème siècle, a été restaurée et possède deux beaux vitraux et une tour contenant une vieille cloche intéressante qui a sonné comme le couvre-feu tous les soirs depuis des temps immémoriaux. Il est également sonné tous les matins. Il y a des chapelles congrégationalistes, baptistes, wesleyennes et chrétiennes bibliques. La maison de travail a un logement pour 150 personnes. Un marché hebdomadaire se tient le samedi, un grand marché aux bestiaux a lieu le premier samedi de chaque mois et une foire aux bestiaux se tient dans la commune le deuxième mardi après le 11 mars. La ville est un arrondissement par prescription, a envoyé deux membres au Parlement à l'époque d'Edouard Ier et d'Edouard II, et de 1640 jusqu'à l'adoption du Reform Act en 1832, et a été privée de ses droits par cet acte. Il est désormais gouverné par une corporation composée d'un maire, de 4 échevins et de 12 conseillers, qui forment le conseil d'arrondissement urbain. Population du bourg municipal, 1879. Depuis le dernier recensement, cependant, une augmentation considérable a eu lieu, de nombreuses maisons ont été et sont encore érigées, et sa faible mortalité en fait un lieu de résidence et de villégiature prisé. Oaklands est un beau siège dans le quartier. Okehampton est un grand centre pour la pratique de l'artillerie. La paroisse contient également les hameaux de Kigbear, Chicacott, Brightley, Fartherford, Meldon, Southacott et Maddaford. Superficie, 12 989 population, 2469. La vie est un presbytère dans le diocèse d'Exeter valeur nette, £395 avec résidence.

Administration

Ce qui suit est une liste des unités administratives dans lesquelles ce lieu était soit totalement ou partiellement inclus.

Comté ancienDevon
Paroisse ecclésiastiqueOakhampton Tous les Saints
CentLifton
Union des Pauvres LoisOakhampton

Toutes les dates de ce tableau doivent être utilisées à titre indicatif uniquement.

Registres paroissiaux

Findmypast, en association avec le South West Heritage Trust, le Parochial Church Council et la Devon Family History Society ont les baptêmes, bans, mariages et enterrements en ligne pour Okehampton


UNE AUBERGE DE DEVONSHIRE

Pub du XVIe siècle du Devonshire avec chambres, situé dans le village historique et pittoresque de Lydford dans le Dartmoor.

Nous sommes désormais ouverts 7 jours sur 7, fermés à 11h le lundi – le vendredi et à 10h – le samedi et le dimanche. Les tables peuvent être réservées dans notre tente extensible chauffée et éclairée via le bouton Réserver une table ci-dessous. De nombreuses autres tables découvertes sont disponibles dans notre grand jardin sur la base du premier arrivé.

Nous prenons les réservations de chambres à partir du 17 mai, les réservations peuvent être effectuées via le bouton Réserver une chambre ci-dessous.

Merci de vous tenir au courant de nos actualités sur Facebook et Instagram (liens en bas de page). Si vous avez d'autres questions, veuillez nous envoyer un e-mail à [email protected]

Consultez nos menus, infos sur les commandes de jardin et commandez vos plats à emporter en ligne dès maintenant !


Château d'Okehampton

Il y a environ 18 endroits auxquels est attaché l'élément de nom de lieu « château » ; parmi ceux-ci, il n'y a que le château Drogo, le château de Gidleigh, le château de Lydford et le château d'Okehampton qui ressemblent presque à une structure fortifiée de l'âge historique. Il est vrai qu'il existe plusieurs forteresses de l'âge du fer qui sont appelées châteaux et sont en effet fortifiées, mais elles ne peuvent pas être classées comme de «vrais châteaux». Sur les quatre structures restantes, Castle Drogo a été construit au début des années 1900, le château de Lydford pourrait être classé comme une prison et le château de Gidleigh était un manoir fortifié du XIVe siècle. Cela laisse ensuite le château d'Okehampton qui peut évoquer des images de chevaliers chevaleresques, de demoiselles en détresse et d'autres notions romantiques. Cette place forte est certainement le plus grand château du Dartmoor et certains diront que c'est le plus grand du Sud-Ouest.

Il est surprenant de voir à quelle vitesse le temps peut ravager les ruines antiques, c'est pourquoi il est toujours utile de lire ce que les premiers visiteurs ont vu lorsqu'ils ont visité de tels sites. Au début des années 1800, James Haskell a visité le château d'Okehampton et a noté ce qui suit :

Les pensées agréables mais pensives, qui occupent l'esprit en visitant les scènes de l'ancienne grandeur, sont ici rendues particulièrement ainsi, de la situation sombre de ces ruines, situées dans une vallée, confiné de chaque côté par des collines escarpées, et arrosé par un rapide flux. Ces restes sont extrêmement dispersés, le côté sud est le plus connecté et le plus parfait, s'élevant au-dessus de quelques riches arbustes, agréablement contrastés, du côté opposé, par un bois suspendu, et entre ceux-ci un plat intervient, d'un excellent pâturage. Sur une haute montagne, une grande tour, appartenant au donjon, est encore debout, mais la moitié semble sur le point de tomber‘, (1807, p.40).

Plus de cent ans plus tard, Eden Phillpotts a décrit sa visite d'automne et, comme on peut le voir ci-dessous, ses mots ont battu n'importe quel guide, car ses brillantes compétences littéraires brossent un tableau mental vivant de ce qu'il a vu :

Vu d'en haut, le plan au sol du château pouvait être distinctement tracé, et il n'avait pas besoin de grandes connaissances pour suivre la conception architecturale de celui-ci. Les socles des piliers qui jaillissaient d'une entrée arquée subsistaient encore, et à l'intérieur, à droite et à gauche de la cour, se dressaient les murs sans toit d'une salle d'apparat ou salle de banquet, d'une part une chapelle, un oratoire et une salle de garde. de l'autre. La chapelle avait une piscine dans le mur sud, la salle principale était remarquable par sa puissante cheminée. A l'extérieur, les ruines des cuisines ont été révélées, et ils ont embrassé un four assez grand pour cuire du pain pour un village. Autour de là béaient les fondations des autres appartements et ouvraient de profondes fenêtres à œillets dans l'épaisseur des murs. La masse était si liée et soudée qu'autrefois elle devait présenter un grand ensemble de chambres fortifiées par un cercle de maçonnerie, mais maintenant le donjon dominait sur une colline séparée au sud-ouest de la ruine, et se tenait seul. Il faisait face à quatre carrés, dominait la vallée et présentait un front imprenable à toute approche. à ses hauteurs frontalières de Yes Topr et High Willhayes. Vers l'ouest, la terre grimpe à nouveau et les derniers feux de l'automne scintillent au-dessus d'une forêt.’, (Phillpotts, 1930, pp 65-67).

Le château se trouve à la limite sud-ouest de la ville d'Okehampton, s'il respire, la forteresse se trouve juste dans les limites de la limite du parc national de Dartmoor. La première preuve documentée de la colonisation d'Okehampton est répertoriée dans Birch’s Cartularium Saxonicum comme étant air d'Ocmond vers 970 après JC. Le règlement apparaît alors dans le Domesday Book de 1086 comme Ochémentone. La signification du nom de lieu est ‘le tonneau (ou maison/village) au bord de la rivière Okement’, (Gover et al. 1992, p.202). C'est avec l'entrée Domesday qu'il y a des preuves réelles d'un château à Okehampton comme on peut le voir dans l'extrait ci-dessous :

Baldwin tient Okehampton lui-même du roi (son) château qui y est situé. Osferth possédait ce manoir avant 1066. Il payait des impôts pour 3 virgates de terre et 1 stade. Terrain pour 30 charrues. En seigneurie 4 charrues 18 esclaves 1 virgate et 1 stade.

21 villageois et 11 petits exploitants avec 20 charrues et 2 virgates, 6 pigmen.

Un moulin qui paie 6s 8d prairie, 5 acres de pâturage 1 lieue de large. 4 bourgeois un marché qui paie 4s. 1 épi 52 bovins 80 ovins.

Valeur de l'ensemble de 10 £ lorsqu'il l'a acquis 8 £, (Morris, 1985, p.105d).

De cela, on peut supposer que le manoir d'Okehampton appartenait à Osferth le Saxon avant la conquête normande et que depuis l'acquisition du manoir Baldwin a fait quelques améliorations, d'où la taxe est passée de 8 £ à 10 £. Comme indiqué, Baldwin le shérif tenait un marché qui rapportait 4 s par an. C'était alors la période où le premier château est apparu à Okehampton, bien que lors des fouilles archéologiques des années 1970, ils ont trouvé des morceaux de ce qui pourrait être des tuiles romaines. Le château est perché sur un éperon est/ouest qui se trouve à l'ouest de la rivière West Okement et se situe à une altitude de 560 pieds. L'emplacement topographique du château d'Okehampton peut être vu à partir des photographies aériennes et 3D ci-dessous

Il a été suggéré qu'en commun avec d'autres châteaux normands, Okehampton était situé à une interface entre différents types de paysages. Dans ce cas, il y a la zone des hautes terres de la lande qui était utilisée pour les activités pastorales et de chasse et les terres cultivées inférieures des marges de la lande (Creighton, 2002, p.510).

Alors, et le château ? Ci-dessus se trouvent quelques descriptions de ce que les visiteurs précédents ont vu et voici maintenant une description de ce que j'ai vu lors de ma visite en avril 2008. Chaque fois que je visite un site, j'aime toujours lire à ce sujet en premier, de cette façon, vous ne manquez rien. , en particulier les caractéristiques les moins évidentes. Le problème que je trouve avec la plupart des châteaux est qu'ils ont généralement subi plusieurs phases de construction et présentent donc un enchevêtrement déroutant de murs et de pièces. Le château d'Okehampton semblait être assez simple avec seulement quatre phases de développement qui constituaient un plan logique.

C'était une matinée froide et fraîche lorsque j'ai appelé, ce qui coïncidait avec les vacances de Pâques, ce qui signifiait qu'il était assez occupé. Il y a un excellent guide en vente au kiosque qui vous guidera à travers les différentes salles du complexe du château dans le sens inverse des aiguilles d'une montre. Mais, histoire d'être maladroit, j'aime commencer par la partie la plus ancienne puis avancer dans le temps, ce qui impliquait dans ce cas d'aller directement au donjon à l'extrémité du site. En vous promenant dans le château, vous découvrirez ce qui doit être l'une des icônes les plus célèbres de Dartmoor, l'énorme monticule ou motte avec les ruines perchées au sommet. Cela m'étonne de voir à quel point la pile précaire et chancelante du mur du donjon parvient à rester debout, surtout si l'on considère les violentes tempêtes de landes qu'elle doit endurer. Si vous effectuez une recherche d'images pour ‘Okehampton Castle’, vous constaterez que plus de la moitié d'entre elles sont de la motte et du donjon et la photo ci-dessous ne fait pas exception.

Lorsqu'on regarde la motte et qu'on la garde, il est important d'ignorer toute la maçonnerie qui se trouve à la base, il s'agissait d'une phase ultérieure du développement du château. Donc, après avoir effacé cela, imaginez deux choses, ce que les habitants d'Okehampton ont dû penser lorsque la structure est apparue pour la première fois dans leur paysage local ? Et deuxièmement, qu'est-ce que cela a dû être d'avoir à arpenter ce grand monticule, surtout avec des seaux d'eau ? Aujourd'hui, on peut atteindre le sommet par un chemin sinueux assez doux mais même cela laisse un besoin de cigarette pour atteindre le sommet. La motte a été construite vers la fin du 11ème siècle, Higham (1999, p.21) suggère qu'elle a été construite quelque temps après le printemps de 1068. Le monticule a été construit avec du schiste naturel extrait autour de la base qui a ensuite laissé un fossé longeant les côtés ouest et est. Les estimations suggèrent que du côté ouest, le fossé avait une profondeur d'environ 13 pieds, ce qui, à partir de sa partie inférieure, laissait le sommet culminant à environ 80 pieds au-dessus. Endacott, (2003, p.9) considère qu'à l'origine il y aurait eu un pont de bois qui enjambait le fossé et permettait l'accès à la motte. Les fouilles ont permis de déterminer que les fondations du donjon ont été posées en même temps que les couches supérieures de la motte étaient achevées. On a supposé que, à l'instar des autres châteaux normands, le donjon d'Okehampton se composait de trois niveaux, le rez-de-chaussée, le premier étage et le parapet du toit. Comme il n'y a aucune preuve d'une entrée au rez-de-chaussée, l'accès aurait été obtenu par un escalier en bois menant au premier étage. Il semble que ce n'est que sur la façade que la maçonnerie d'origine reste, le reste est le résultat d'un développement ultérieur du 14ème siècle. De l'intérieur du donjon, on peut apprécier la lutte que les vestiges de la cage d'escalier et de la tourelle doivent mener pour rester debout. Il n'y a rien de spectaculaire dans cette pièce à part l'entrée de la garde-robe dans le mur sud-ouest. Pour une raison étrange, les gens sont toujours fascinés par la garde-robe, est-ce compréhensible avec les enfants mais les adultes ? À l'origine, la garderobe était une petite pièce qui servait à garder les vêtements et les biens de valeur en sécurité, d'où le nom garder (garder) peignoir (vêtements). Ce n'est que plus tard que le nom a représenté une sorte de salle de bains moderne qui comprenait des toilettes. Pour ceux qui sont fascinés par de telles choses, on pense à Okehampton qu'il est possible que la goulotte privée ait déversé son contenu sur la motte. Cela signifiait qu'une pauvre âme avait la tâche agréable de nettoyer à la fois elle et son aire d'atterrissage en dessous, incidemment, ces personnes sont devenues connues sous le nom de « fermiers de gong ». Incroyable à quel point les changements sont minimes, combien d'entre nous sont encore en train de nettoyer le gâchis de nos patrons ? Maintenant, j'ai cette fascination pour les marques de maçons et j'étudie si souvent attentivement les murs des bâtiments anciens et tout en le faisant à Okehampton, il est vite devenu évident que de nombreux murs sont recouverts de vieux graffitis, encore une fois, rien ne change. Juste à l'intérieur de la porte du donjon se trouvent de nombreux exemples de ‘killroys’ des années 1800, comme on peut le voir sur la photographie.

C'est probablement le bon moment pour expliquer ma tentative de visite virtuelle du château d'Okehampton. Malheureusement, je ne peux pas comprendre comment obtenir des clips vidéo sur ce site Web sans qu'ils prennent un mois à télécharger. Par conséquent, si vous cliquez sur chaque carré du plan ci-dessous, cela vous mènera à une nouvelle page montrant des photographies des caractéristiques pertinentes de chaque pièce.

Cliquez sur les carrés verts ci-dessus pour voir des photographies de chaque pièce et de ses caractéristiques.

The timeline tour now goes slightly astray because to save having to go back down to the precinct and then come back up to the motte it is easier to jump forward a few hundred years and step from the original keep through to the 14th century extension. It is thought that the ground floor was used either as a storeroom or as servant’s quarters. Either way it was to be basic, here on the ground floor the windows are small, plain and would have been unglazed. This could have been for two reasons, either the small windows meant it would be harder to attack or it was deemed unnecessary to waste money on a storeroom or servants quarters. The end wall clearly demonstrates that people of note were living on the second floor, here the windows are much larger, more decorative and would have been glazed. The room would have been much brighter due to the large windows and would have afforded views over the deer park and the fireplace would have made it much warmer than below. In the far left-hand corner is a garderobe which again would have added to the luxury of the room. It is impossible to say whether this layout would have been reflected in another room on this level or if the rooms were simply separated by a wooden screen. Endacott (p.14) suggests this upper floor would have provided accommodation for the lord and his wife or lodgings for any influential guests.

Several times I have banged on about how much this castle was a statement of power and was intended to dominate the local landscape. Every time someone in Okehampton looked up they would have seen this huge, man-made foreign intrusion on the skyline which served to remind them that they were no under Norman control. As can be seen from the photograph below, even today it commands a good view of the modern town.

There can be no question that this Norman motte and keep would have caused any attacker considerable problems insomuch as a direct assault would have been difficult. However, if they were of a patient persuasion and were prepared to lay siege to the castle then those inside would have had some serious problems. There would have been no water supply, no kitchens and if they were relying on divine inspiration, no chapel to boost their spiritual courage. This suggests two things, firstly there possibly was no imminent threat of attack and so such defences weren’t needed, and/or the castle was only intended as an administrative centre. But, here is a thought, in the very same Domesday Book that records the castle there is an entry for Lydford which lies about 7 miles away to the south west. This states: ‘40 houses destroyed since the King has come to England‘, (Morris, p.100b). When this type of entry appears in Domesday it usually means one thing, ‘the peasants were revolting’ and to teach them a lesson their houses were laid to waste. So if this event happened, ‘since the King has come to England‘ that means it occurred between 1066 and 1086 when the Domesday Book was written. Okehampton castle motte was built around 1068 which means around the same time the Saxons were rebelling 7 miles down the road at Lydford. In which case why was there no provision for a prolonged attack by angry locals?

Now its time to go back along the timeline and off the motte to the 12th century when the second phase of development took place. Sadly, there is no visible evidence of this stage as it is all under later buildings and their surfaces. But it would have encompassed the building of a great hall and its associated kitchens and service rooms.

So after that pointless detour we can now move on to the main expansion phase of the 14th century. Personally, I love looking at Great Halls, this was the social centre of a medieval castle and they always conjure up images of feasts, huge dogs, roaring log fires and endless jugs of alcohol. In all reality the Great Hall served not only as a place for entertaining but as the business centre of the castle. At Okehampton there is still evidence of a low wall which runs level with the north wall, this would have formed the dais upon which stood the high table where the lord and his guests would have sat to dine. It was also used to seat the lord when the various manorial courts were being held. English Heritage have kindly provided a bench in the Great Hall where one can sit and ponder the past events. You can nearly smell the roast venison as the serfs bring huge haunches to the top table, listen carefully and you can hear the soft lute and pipe music playing in the corner and the growling of the hunting dogs fighting over a bone. All around the walls are plastered a creamy white with tapestries draped around them, a mixture of hunting trophies also hang on the walls. The dusty earthen floor is carpeted with rushes and sprigs of herbs which when trodden on release a heady aroma into the air which is already thick with wood smoke and candle fat. The huge log fire in the centre of the hall spits and sparks with the flames casting dancing shadows onto the walls. The talk on the top table is of the days hunting and the brave stand that huge stag put up…

Back to reality, just infront of the remains of the dais is a hearth which is thought to have been used to melt lead in when the castle was abandoned in the 1500s. However just by this are the remains of the original open hearth that would have provided both heat and light to the hall. At the opposite end of the hall would have been a wooden screen which separated the hall from the service room or buttery and the kitchens. Entry to the hall would have been via a very ornate doorway in the south eastern wall which led in from the bailey .

The buttery was where all the food and drink was prepared and was the domain of the castle steward who over saw all the preparation and food presentation. It was from here that the servants would carry out the sumptuous dishes to lay before their master’s. Interestingly, as Endacott notes (p.7) there would have been no buxom serving wenches to wait on the tables as it was only males who were allowed to wait on the tables – bang goes another salacious image.

Above the buttery was the solar , this was the private retiring room of the lord and lady, again there would have been a display of opulence here. There would have been a fireplace, garderobe and three large and ornate windows which again for the local area in the 14th century was very plush.

A covered passage would have led from the buttery into the kitchens, in the first kitchen are the remains of a hearth and ash pit along with a drain that was cut through the wall. The second kitchen is slightly larger and contains the remains of two large ovens which had been built into the bottom of the motte. These were built in the next phase of development as was the larder which lies between here and the motte steps.

Having looked at how the medieval body was fed it might be as well to see how the medieval soul was sustained and so just opposite the kitchens are the remains of the chapel. The ravages of time and the Dartmoor weather have been a little kinder here because the full extent of the eastern wall still stands. Originally the chapel would have had a sloping lead roof which was crenellated below this the porch allowed entry from the bailey. Inside the chapel would have been decorated with wall paintings, some remains of which can be seen in the right-hand corner of the southern window. Endacott (p.18) suggests that an ornate, wooden screen would have separated the chancel at the eastern end with the altar supported on protruding corbels. The piscina is very well preserved and is embedded in the southern wall, the water from this would have drained through the wall. On the right of the piscina is a time-worn example of Napoleonic graffiti which was the work of a French naval officer called Giles A. Vincent. He was a surgeon on the French Man o’ War called ‘Rejoirie’ which was captured on the 10th of June 1809. Having been taken prisoner, Vincent was brought to Okehampton where he was given parole , a fact he later recorded on this stone. His inscription reads: ‘HIC V… FUIT CAPTIVUS BELLI’ which Endacott (p.19) translates as, ‘here Vincent was a prisoner of war‘. Next to the chapel was the priest’s lodgings which could be entered either from the chapel or from the western lodgings. During medieval times the priest would have been one of the more important members of the lord’s household and so literally lived on the job to ensure he was always on hand. These quarters would have been small but well appointed with a downstairs garderobe and an upstairs fireplace and window. At the eastern end of the lodgings is evidence of a small, outward protrusion which Endacott tentatively suggests may have contained the castle’s bells which now dictates a slight diversion. Some time between 1291 and 1328 the widow of lord Hugh Courtenay, Lady Eleanor commissioned the founding of two bells. One was inscribed with the words: ‘We were both made to wake Eleanor for to catch game’ and the other: ‘But do by my advice think on Hugh’s soul and so was his name‘, (Endacott, p.29). Both inscriptions suggest that after her husband’s death she still enjoyed the ‘chase’ and that she was concerned for his soul presumably languishing in purgatory. One of these bells, and I am not sure which one, is now housed in the nearby Museum of Dartmoor Life .

Next to the chapel are the extensive eastern lodgings, these would have provided accommodation for guests and servants. Originally these rooms would have been on two levels with garderobes on each floor, it is thought that the servants would have lived on the less salubrious lower floor whilst there betters enjoyed the more luxurious top floor. Again it is noticeable the difference in the window sizes of each level, the lower ones being much smaller and plainer. Access to the upper floor would have been from outside via a flight of steps or by a gallery leading around the building from the great hall.

Of all these rooms it is those at the northern end that seemed to be the best equipped, again there are garderobes on each level but on the upper floor there is still a hand basin embedded into the wall. It is deemed that the lower floor was used as a storeroom of some kind.

On the back of the eastern lodgings was the gatehouse which the led out into the barbican passage and to the barbican itself. This was the business end of the defences for this structure would have been the first place any attackers would fall upon. Evidence of a garderobe suggests that there was an upper chamber above the gate that would have been the guardroom Should anyone ever breach the barbican they would have then been faced with a long passage which led up to the gatehouse. There are traces of a platform running along the inside of the north wall which may have been used as a fighting platform or as a mounting block for horsemen, (Young, 1931, p.35). It is from here that they would have been met with volleys of arrows and other projectiles. Although now filled in, it is presumed that infront pf the gatehouse would have been a deep hole over which laid the drawbridge. The winching gear for this was housed in the upper chamber which also served as accommodation for the castle gatekeeper or constable. There is a small two storied guardroom on the side of the gatehouse which would have served either as the castle stewards office or as extra accommodation. There is also an entrance to the great hall which would have been used by those of a lesser standing when attending manorial courts.

The only other feature left for this time period is the postern gate which can be found in the far end of the south eastern wall. This small entrance would have been used to allow small parties of soldiers out of the castle in times of siege, it would also have served as an emergency exit or to discreetly allow visitors to come and go.

The next phase of development occurred in the late 1400s, early 1500s and comprised in the building of another series of buildings called the western lodgings. As with previous guest quarters these were well appointed with decorative windows, garderobes and wide ranging views. These quarters actually lie upon the in-filled motte ditch and have in sections been cut into the base of the mound.

When looking at today’s surviving ruins there is one thing that is missing, there is no well. Admitted there is a small stream running down the western side and the river Okement flowing to the east. Drawing water from either sources would have proved an arduous task for some poor individual especially when having to slog back up to the castle. But, this problem was overcome by what seems to be a very local method. Creighton (p.54) explains how: ‘rather less frequently we have evidence that castles were supplied with cisterns fed by rainwater or natural groundwater seepage‘ and by this remark he was referring to Okehampton. A similar idea was used at nearby Lydford Castle whereby rainwater was collected from the roof and then piped into the building. Excavations have revealed that at Okehampton there was a building containing a 7ft deep cistern which collected rainwater running off the motte. This was located at the foot of the motte and just to the south of the kitchens. A lead pipe then carried the water off in the direction of the eastern lodgings which is why nobody ever drank it and opted for the ‘healthy’ option of beer and wine, something I do to this very day.

This virtually completes the various phases of construction at Okehampton castle because by 1538 the castle was abandoned and left to decay. Local builders soon took advantage of this situation and began robbing the stonework and as mentioned above the lead from the roofs and windows was melted down. A lease of 1642 documents that parts of the castle were used as a bakehouse and it is thought that the ovens for this are those located to the south of the western lodgings. It is interesting to see that the floor of the oven it made from an old millstone which may indicate that it came from a nearby mill, which brings us nicely to the associated ancillary buildings of the castle.

The Domesday entry clearly states that in 1086 there was a mill at Okehampton, Young (p.35) suggests that the small brook which runs to the north west of the castle: ‘provided fish ponds and worked the castle mill which was just outside the barbican’. Endacott (p.22) and Higham (p.19) both agree that there is a strong chance of the fishponds being in existence during the 16th century but give little mention of the mill. There is however an engraving dating from 1734 that unmistakeably depicts a mill with two waterwheels as can be seen in the bottom right-hand corner of the illustration below.

Also associated with the castle is the adjacent deer park, in fact it is probably one of the main reasons for the castle’s existence. Having just looked at the scroll-bar it will be necessary to do a separate web page for this topic as the park, the Deserted Medieval Village and its feature are a lengthy topic.

I also do not intend to explore the history of the castle, there is nothing more boring than listing lines of people, who they married and when they died. If you would like to read more about the families who lived at Okehampton castle then Endicott’s book gives a full history. Suffice it to say, the first owner of the castle was, as mentioned above, Baldwin de Brionne, Sheriff of Devon. None of his sons had any male heirs and so the estate went to his daughter, Adeliza. Eventually Okehampton ended up in the ownership of Hawisia who in 1173 married one Reginald Courtenay. The Courtenay family then through a long line of heirs held the ownership until 1539 when Henry Courtenay got on the wrong side of King Henry VIII who had him beheaded on the 9th of January 1539. Following this event the Courtenay estates were confiscated, the deer park abandoned and the castle left to decay. In the early 1900s a local man called Sydney Simmons acquired the castle site and carried out some repair and restoration work. In 1917 he gave the castle to the Okehampton Castle Trust who held ownership until 1967 was it was placed under the guardianship of the Ministry of Public Buildings and Works. Then followed a huge consolidation project of the ruins which culminated in an archaeological investigation led by Dr. Higham in the 1970s. In 1984 the property came under the auspices of English Heritage where to this day it remains.

But what was Okehampton castle used for? One of my old Exeter University tutors considers that:

While popular perceptions of medieval castles are often dominated by their presumed military significance and role in contemporary warfare, the defining feature of the medieval castle was, rather, that it served a number of diverse needs. All castles were built, at least to some degree, to serve as high status private residences and estate centres as well as military strongpoints. As judicial centres and seats of local government, castles were commonly venues of manorial or honorial courts, while many royal strongholds were also armouries, jails and treasuries… The impact of castles on the landscape has been profound. As evocative symbols of lordship, they re-shaped the landscape in the minds of contemporaries.’ (Creighton, 2002, p.1).

This certainly would have been so for Okehampton, during the Norman period the inhabitants of the town would have clearly been reminded of whom they served every time they cast and eye to the south west. Here they would have seen the formidable keep perched high upon its pedestal as an icon of rulership and opulence. Undoubtedly during this period the stronghold was a defensive site but also it would have served as the administrative centre for the estate. The Domesday Book records the fact that there was a market which in all likelihood would have been held just outside the castle walls. During this period of history there was great rivalry between towns to establish the most prosperous market quite simply because the busier the trade the more profit the lord made. In the case of Okehampton the challenge came from nearby Lydford who were granted permission to hold a market in 1195 which would have been in direct competition. However, population figures of the time show that Okehampton managed to stave off this competition which eventually lead to a dramatic decline in Lydford’s prosperity.

By 1221 ‘Robert de Curtenay‘ had been granted permission by Henry III to hold a fair as well, both would have provided a good income for the manor. As mentioned above, we know there was a mill which once again would have turned a fair penny for the lord’s coffers as all those living within the manor were compelled to have their corn ground here. So, the picture slowly emerges that as with any estate it was a commercial venture that would have been expected to return a healthy profit from its assets.

In 1298 the Courtenay family created a large deer park which was located to the east of the castle and as a result of this the castle’s role change to that of a luxurious hunting lodge. Evidence of this can be clearly seen from the large development project which saw the building of many of the castle’s features at this time. The castle was to be a place where the Courtenay could enjoy their hunting and entertain the numerous guests who would have been invited for the ‘chase’. This would also give the owners a chance to display their wealth and prosperity through the well appointed apartments of the castle. Once again the inhabitants of Okehampton would have seen another change in their local landscape because the establishment of this deer park meant that many of the farmsteads were cleared away. Creighton (p.191) explains further:

‘Imparkment could also result in the disruption and even displacement of settlement. At Okehampton the earls of Devon cleared the areas south of their castle of farmsteads and removed the community’s rights to other agricultural resources in order to create a vast and conspicuous greenbelt area around their seat of lordship in the thirteenth century‘.

In the end this deer park covered 1,700 acres and once established must have dramatically altered the landscape and people’s perception of it. Which nicely leads on to peoples perception of the castle in more recent times. As described above, from the 16th century the castle fell into decline until eventually it became a ruin. From about the late 1700s it could be argued that Okehampton castle’s role saw something of a resurgence insomuch as it took on a perceived ‘romantic’ perspective. It was at this time that wealthy people went in search of the picturesque which was a phenomenon driven by artists, writers and poets. Suddenly the ruined castle was seen lying in a dramatic and picturesque landscape and visitors came in search of its rugged beauty, as is evident from the wealth of datable graffiti that can be seen adorning the walls today. Below is a small selection of paintings and etchings drawn by artists of this period. It is interesting to see just how much artistic license some of the artists availed themselves of. In particular look at the work shown in image number 4, there you will see a huge river with boats on it which does beg the question, did the artist ever visit the castle?


A tour of Okehampton Castle, Devon

(The keep and motte)

Okehampton has the distinction of being the largest castle in Devon and there is plenty to explore onsite. Before proceeding on our tour, I will begin with a brief overview of its history.

(The castle as viewed from the road)

Okehampton was founded in the late eleventh century after the Norman Conquest by Baldwin de Brionne as a motte and bailey castle with a stone keep. It later passed into the ownership of the Courtenay earls of Devon, with Hugh Courtenay responsible for rebuilding much of the castle in the early fourteenth century. After the execution of Edward Courtenay for treason by Henry VIII in 1539, Okehampton gradually fell into decay and became a picturesque ruin.

(Side view of the Great Hall as viewed from the north-west)

The castle is entered through a barbican, which leads via a passageway up to the Gatehouse.

(The barbican as viewed from the east) (The barbican as viewed from the west, with ticket office behind) (From the passageway looking westwards towards the gatehouse and bailey) (External view of the Gatehouse)

This leads to the bailey, with the Great Hall, Buttery, and kitchens located on the west side, which primarily date from the fourteenth century.

(From the Great Hall facing towards the eastern lodgings) (The Great Hall as viewed from the Chapel) (From the Great Hall facing the Buttery) (The kitchens) (Ovens built into the base of the Motte)

Whereas the other side of the bailey contains the Eastern Lodgings, Chapel, Priest’s Lodging, and Western Lodgings.

(The Eastern Lodgings as viewed from the Gatehouse) (The Eastern Lodgings as viewed from the ground floor) (The Chapel and Priest’s Lodging as viewed from the south) (The Western Lodgings, Priest’s Lodging and Chapel as viewed from steps to the Motte)

The Motte is the most prominent feature of the castle, which is some 25 metres tall, with the eleventh century keep expanded in size in the fourteenth century.

(The Motte and Keep as viewed from the Gatehouse) (The Motte and Keep as viewed from outside the castle to the west) (The internal of the Keep as viewed from the south-east) (The fourteenth century part of the Keep looking westwards)

Okehampton was once adjoined by a huge deer park some 1,700 acres in size, and there are some nice walks around the castle that can be explored.

(The wood to the south of the castle)

This concludes my tour of Okehampton Castle, if you have any feedback or suggestions for future tours then feel free to leave a comment!

(The north face of the curtain wall with the Motte to the right)

Visiting information

The site is managed by English Heritage and there is an entrance fee.

Lectures complémentaires

Alan Endacott, Okehampton Castle (London: English Heritage, 2005)


Okehampton Castle - History

  • Explorer
    • Recent Photos
    • Tendance
    • Événements
    • The Commons
    • Flickr Galleries
    • World Map
    • Camera Finder
    • Flickr Blog
    • Prints & Wall Art
    • Photo Books
    Tags Okehampton
    Related groups — Okehampton
    View allAll Photos Tagged Okehampton

    The view on approaching the ruins of Okehampton Castle.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon.

    Some of the nice views across to the high tors of north-west Dartmoor on our walk near Okehampton last Sunday. Large parts of this part of Dartmoor are used for military training and parts of the military camp of Okehampton can be seen on the right edge of my photo.

    Aircraft Type - Serial - (c/n) . . Bell Boeing MV-22B Osprey - 168666 - (D0322)

    Owner/Operator . . USMC

    Location & Date . . Okehampton Camp Devon England UK - 12th April 2021

    To see hundreds more photographs from the 1980’s, through to today, please go to my main website:

    It was announced this morning - Friday 19 March 2021 - that Okehampton would finally be connected to the national rail network, with a daily service to Exeter from December 2021. More detail here: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56450227

    Rewind 20 years and Cheshire Railtours 'The Dartmoor Prince' stands at Okehampton on 26 May 2001 hauled by 47778 'Irresistable', before continuing on to Meldon Quarry. Running as 1Z80 06:55 London Victoria - Meldon Quarry the tour ran via Clapham Junction to Wimbledon via Haydons Road, making this a rare section of line for Class 47 haulage, then continuing down the West of England route via Salisbury, Yeovil Junction and Exeter St Davids, then onwards via Crediton. There was always something special about the original batch of Western Region named Class 47's, and the former D1666 / 47081 / 47606 'Odin' was withdrawn on the 6th March 2004, with final disposal two years later on the 30th March 2006 at EMR Kingsbury.

    Dutch-liveried 37258 forges through the rain at the disused Okehampton station with a short Meldon Quarry to Exeter Riverside ballast train on Thursday 28th January 1993.

    © Gordon Edgar - All rights reserved. Please do not use my images without my explicit permission

    Back to our point of origin now.

    Services to Okehampton began on 3rd October 1871 and it grew into an important junction station. The station was redeveloped into its present format during the early 1930s. The engine shed, turntable and water tower were located at the east end of the station, which is today part of the car park. The original 1871 signal box on Platform 2 was replaced with a brick-built structure on Platform 3 in 1935 which remains to this day.

    Beyond Okehampton towards Meldon Viaduct is the site of the former military sidings, which was the nearest point on the railway to the large military camp on the moor above. Troops, munitions, horses and ordnance were loaded and unloaded here in vast numbers. From 1960 to 1964 a car carrier service operated on Saturdays from Surbiton (in southwest London), and cars were loaded and unloaded at the military sidings.

    The station fell into disuse after the withdrawal of passenger services on 5th June 1972. However, following significant refurbishment Okehampton station officially reopened on 24th May 1997. Today Okehampton station serves as the headquarters of the Dartmoor Railway and the former goods shed is now a Youth Hostel.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon. With their new wealth, they redeveloped the castle as a luxurious hunting lodge, building a new deer park that stretched out south from the castle, and constructing fashionable lodgings that exploited the views across the landscape. The de Courtenays prospered and the castle was further expanded to accommodate their growing household.

    The de Courtenays were heavily involved in the 15th century Wars of the Roses and Okehampton Castle was frequently confiscated. By the early 16h century the castle was still in good condition, but after Henry Courtenay was executed by Henry VIII the property was abandoned and left to decay, while the park was rented out by the Crown. Parts of the castle were reused as a bakery in the 17th century, but by the 19th century it was completely ruined and became popular with Picturesque painters, including J. M. W. Turner. Renovation work began properly in the 20th century, first under private ownership and then, more extensively, after the castle was acquired by the state. In the 21st century it is controlled by English Heritage and operated as a tourist attraction.

    Aircraft Type - Serial - (c/n) . . Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion - 163060 - (65-547)

    Owner/Operator . . USMC

    Location & Date . . Okehampton Camp Devon England UK - 18th April 2021

    Dating from the 11th Century, as a 'romantic ruin', the castle has been much painted over the centuries twice by Turner.

    Afternoon sun in the East Okement valley near Okehampton.

    Okehampton to Exeter Central - Sunday May 24, 2014:

    Okehampton Station - First Great Western unit 153377 arrives from Exeter Central.

    For more photographs of the Dartmoor Railway please click here: www.jhluxton.com/Railways-and-Tramways/Heritage-Railways-.

    The Southern Railway's Dartmoor Mainline between Yeoford and Meldon following closure to passenger services in 1972 remained open for freight to Okehampton and Meldon Quarry. Eventually the line and quarry were sold to Aggregate Industries which leased the line first to Ealing Community Transport and later to Iowa Pacific Holdings. Heritage services were operated from the 1990s until 2019 along with a summer Sunday only service provided to Exeter Central by (First) Great Western Railway.

    Iowa Pacific entered insolvency early in 2020.

    In Spring 2021 the line was purchased by Network Rail with refurbishment having been going on since January with a review to reopening to full services by the end of the year as Okehampton once again rejoins the national rail network.

    Thus whilst the heritage operation may be over with the rolling stock being offered for sale the line will once again see daily passenger services and there is a prospect of freight from Meldon Quarry resuming again.


    Okehampton Castle - History

    The borough of Okehampton was incorporated by Royal Charter in 1623, and from 1640 Okehampton returned two members to parliament. The most notable amongst these is William Pitt the Elder who was Prime Minister of Great Britain from 1766 to 1768. With the passing of the 1832 Reform Act, Okehampton was disenfranchised, losing both its seats as it was deemed to be a 'rotten borough' having declined in size and importance since 1640. Many such boroughs were controlled by patronage or bribery: Pitt the Elder himself said "[Borough representation is] the rotten part of the constitution." Before the 1832 Act there was no complete electoral register, and boroughs typically had few eligible voters. After the electoral reform the franchise in boroughs was widened to include all owners and occupiers whose property was worth at least £10 annually. The effect of the Act in Devon was a reduction in the number of MPs by 4 to 22, the removal of those in the rotten boroughs being offset by the addition of two seats in the newly created borough of Devonport.


    The White Hart Hotel, dating back to the 16th Century, occupies a prominent position where Fore Street joins West Street, and the balcony was the place from which it is said that MPs used to address the citizenry. It was converted to a Wetherspoons in 2016.

    Okehampton Castle

    In about 1070 a stately motte-and-bailey castle was built at the side of the West Okement river about a mile south-west of the town by Baldwin de Brioniis whom William the Conquerer had created Earl of Devon it was extended, restored, and beautified by subsequent barons including Richard de Redvers, believed to be the 4th Earl of Devon who died in 1193, and successive generations of Courtenays.

    In the last years of its heyday, the castle was used as a base for hunting expeditions in the surrounding parkland. This is well described in 'Okehampton Castle, Devon', ©English Heritage:

    It served as the seat of the great baronial power till its forfeiture in the time of Henry VIII in 1539, when the then incumbent Henry Courtenay, Marquis of Exeter was executed for treason. There was much residual mistrust at the time between the Yorkists and the Tudors, ultimate victors of the War of the Roses, and according to Tudor Place:

    Most of the castle was then dismantled and it was never again inhabited. Here is an evocative portrait of the ruins by John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72), reproduced from Vision of Britain:

    The historical image shown is of "Okehampton Castle, on the River Okement" engraved by Charles Turner in 1825 after JMW Turner's famous watercolour painted a year earlier. Charles was a close friend of JMW Turner, many of whose paintings he engraved with great technical skill and artistry. The ruined castle's haunting presence is used as a backdrop to the contemporary scene showing the wood-cutters at work.

    Another famous painting of the castle is that by Richard Wilson (1714-1782). His 'View of Okehampton Castle' was painted after a visit to the town in 1771. It now hangs in Birmingham Art Gallery.


    Voir la vidéo: Okehampton Castle, Devon. English Heritage (Mai 2022).